News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

HELP! Find a Fuse on 1958 Fleetwood 60 Special

Started by Greg Powers, September 16, 2016, 09:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Powers

OK, I feel like a total idiot. I have a 1958 Fleetwood 60 Special and the dash lights, map light nor radio will light up at night with the headlights on. I have the 1957 Shop Manual with 1958 supplement and it says that the fuse is  a 20A(CB) and the location is headlight switch. Great, so what in the world does that mean? Of course there is no explanation or diagram as to how to get to such a fuse. Would one of you please give me a clue? I thought with the book I should be able to go right to it, but  it hasn't exactly worked out that way so far. The fuse panel doesn't seem to have anything labelled for these lights. All help appreciated. - Driving in the Dark
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

savemy67

Hello Greg,

20A(CB) should mean 20 amp Circuit Breaker.  Many models ran alot of current through the headlight switch, so the switch was equipped with a circuit breaker.  I haven't repaired a '58 headlight switch so I don't know if yours needs to be reset or replaced.  In later models, the headlight circuit breaker would cycle, and the instrument lights were fused through the fuse panel.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

V63

I've had this issue before. There is an 'interference' connection within the headlight switch that completes the circuit. (To the ceramic rheostat)  It corrodes and the circuit is open. I disassemble the whole thing and clean it in an acid wash.

wbdeford

I had this issue in my 58 SDV, but I was afraid to try to mess with the headlight switch with all its tiny parts, and since I like my dash lights bright anyway, I spliced my instrument panel wire in with the tail light wire to bypass the rheostat.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville