News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Reproduction Battery - Any Experience?

Started by P. Manoogian, September 18, 2016, 08:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P. Manoogian

Interested in hearing any experiences with this company. I am considering their battery for my 61 Eldorado.

http://www.restorationbattery.com/gm-battery-date-coding.html
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

Scot Minesinger

These reproduction batteries are essentially a modern battery with a new casing. 

I have not enjoyed good longevity, after going thru 3 batteries of this type and driving 3,000 miles a year, they generally last about a year and a half.  Plus some of them are "optima" type which means they cannot be jumped or used to jump another car.  They require a special charger.  Now I use a modern regular battery and it has lasted three years so far, hopefully it will continue to be good.  Now I suffer a point deduction at shows, but better that than a dead battery.

One of my friends has the same battery that only lasts me 1.5 years, and his has lasted 5 years, but he drives it less than 200 miles per year. 

Bottom line, they seem fine for a show car only/trailer transported car. If you drive the car some, then go with regular modern battery.  You could always use a modern battery for driving and make a switch at the shows.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

I don't know if 61 was a really unique battery or how visible it is but have you looked at the top covers?

I don't have any experience with the reproduction batteries but do have a fair amount of experience with the optima type batteries.   If some are indeed based on those I would not be afraid of them just based on that fact alone.  Price would be a bigger factor for me.   You are already paying a premium for the look so adding more for the 'technology' could really add a lot to the price so if it didn't last you would be out just that much more.

The optima style batteries are fine as long as they get fairly regular use.   Same for charging, as long as its fairy typical usage normal chargers and charging systems are fine.  Its if you significantly drain one things are different.   I believe maintainer chargers are different.   Never heard anyone say you can't jump another car with one, that makes no sense.  I have got good life out of more than a dozen of them over the years and for the most part have not treated them that special.  To go against the regular use statement I do have one in a 1950's tractor that is now over 10 years old and does not get regular use.  Except for one time someone left the key on its been fine.  I don't run a maintainer or anything on it.  Sometimes sits all winter outside in a freezing climate and starts right up in the spring.  Being a old tractor its got nothing to draw power with the key off.  Newer stuff that has some draw can drain them just like any other battery and that is where you have to treat them differently.

I quit buying them a couple years ago because the prices went so high I didn't think they were a good value anymore.   I still have a couple around as spares, the 'spill proof' design is cool for something that gets moved around.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bill Ingler #7799

I have had a Restoration Battery in my 71 Olds 442 for 3 years with no problems. I keep a 1.5amp Battery Tender on the battery while the car is in the garage. I do the same with my other cars with an  Optima battery. I have never heard that you can`t use a Optima as the jump battery. What I do know is if you have a dead Optima battery or AGM type battery, use a very low amp battery charger to bring it back up and don`t over charge or you fry the battery.  Bill

35-709

As to Optima batteries --- I have one in my '35 Cadillac resto-mod (12 volts), after 22,000+ miles and 6 years it is just now beginning to show signs of weakening.  At one time a couple/3 years ago the battery suffered a complete discharge because I left the interior lights on and did not use the car for a couple of days.  There is a specific and necessary protocol to bring a completely discharged Optima back and it is simple to do and the procedure can be found easily on the internet.  I use an inexpensive Battery Tender model 021-0123 if I don't plan to use the car for an extended period and it all works very well for me.  The 1950 Jaguar Mark V resto-mod I am building for my wife will have an Optima.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

35-709

I too see no reason not to use an Optima as a jump battery.

35-709

;D  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFmAMiuoLAE

FWIW I buy my Optimas on eBay from uspartsoutlet for about $143 and free shipping.

TJ Hopland

Interesting to read that even the 'maintainer' needing to be special is apparently also a myth. 

So if they are not optima type batteries are they shipped 'dry'?   That would be a good thing because at least in theory there should not be significant loss from age sitting on the shelf.    I suppose that may also be a reason some of them go with the optima type of battery in the first place?  They are easier to ship?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

Yes, the special charger or maintainer is a myth (as is using an Optima as a jump battery) although Optima does little to dispel that myth because they would love to sell you theirs.   

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Yes, I've purchased two for my 53 Cadillac. The first was a lead acid type and lasted abut 3 years. The second was and is a Optima type maintenance free battery. It's been in the car at least 7 years. I maintain it with a Sears brand tender with no problems. I left the lights on one day and ran it down. A friend gave it a jump start with his car and it started right up. I  drove the car home and put the tender on it. It charged up fully over night. I've had good service from it. Another advantage of the Optima type is that you never get any corrosion on the battery terminals. They stay like brand new. I will buy another when the time comes. The downside, very expensive.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Quote from: P. Manoogian on September 18, 2016, 08:52:29 AM
Interested in hearing any experiences with this company. I am considering their battery for my 61 Eldorado.

http://www.restorationbattery.com/gm-battery-date-coding.html

You may wish to do a search on the forum before posting - there were two threads on this. June 2015, and recently one from myself in August.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=142104.msg342503#msg342503
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=136559.msg305636#msg305636

Hoping this is helpful.
Scott
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Dave Ventresca

I got a repro battery too from antique battery i n Ohio. still cranks strong after 5 years.I start the car every 2 weeks max. Dave

Jeff Wilk

Same here with Antique Auto Battery. Have it in my 59 and all I do is take off the negative and let it sit. This time it was sitting since Nov 2015 until last weekend. Connected the negative then turned the key and it cranked about twenty seconds and car started right up and off we went for a waaaaaay overdue summer ride. 

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville