News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Advice for judging a neighborhood car show?

Started by colinlikens, September 18, 2016, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinlikens

Two friends and I have been asked by another friend to help judge entrants in a local car show.  The show is a fund-raising event for a local charitable organization that my friend just recently took over.   It seems they don't have much in the way of a judging framework for this event.  The three of us being asked to judge are all car enthusiasts but have no experience as judges.  So I thought I'd ask here for any helpful criteria or judging process advice. 

The show will be open to all sorts of cars.  This of course might pose a challenge for having insight about the specialness or originality of a car.  I'm hoping the spirit of the event will be relaxed and fun. 

I figure the following are sound criteria for judging entries:

1) Overall Condition
2) Originality
3) Popular appeal
4) Uniqueness/rarity

Any suggestions or thoughts about fairness and fun for judging would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Colin Likens
1973 Eldorado Convertible
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

Scot Minesinger

Colin,

Enjoy the honor.

I think you are on the right track here.  Most National clubs base it solely on authenticity, but it seems like a good idea to add in your other criteria for a local show.  If you make a Federal case about it this could be debated for hours.  Probably the main thing is to enjoy the show, so keep it lite.  An authentic boring car that wins first place is not always good at shows like this, where it is perfectly fine at National shows.

Remember no good deed goes unpunished.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

How many cars are you thinking and what sort of range?     Are you going to have a 2015 Camaro next to your Cadillac next to your boss's sons Civic?  If its that kind of range and more for fun I think I would try to make it fun.  With a wide range of cars and years it would be difficult to compare them and even know what may be original or rare.    Maybe come up with something that is less about the cars themselves and more about the story of the car or owner(s)?    What's the charity?   Is there a connection between it and many of the owners?  If so there may be an angle there.

I would like the idea of making it more about the story than the cars, that way your GN winning Cad could be on a more even playing field with something that won loudest stereo.   Make a entry requirement be that you need to include the story.  Bought it new off the showroom floor last year doesn't get as many points as the father and son restoration project.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

chrisntam

All the cars should get trophies or participation ribbons.

;)

I hope you aren't being set up for failure/trouble!

I too have no experience with what you are doing.  Suggest you have the spectators vote as well.  Categorize if needed:

Favorite mopar, GM or Ford
Favorite original or modified

Hemmings Motor News has car shows with various categories, you may want to look there for ideas.

Best of luck and hope this works out for you, hopefully there are no hard feelings after you pass judgement!

:)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jim Salmi #21340

I love the idea of judging the story rather than just the car.

Age and difficulty of keeping the car on the road should be a big part of it.

Under no circumstances should the obnoxious orthodontist with the new Lambo get any kind of award.  This shouldn't be a contest of wallets. :P
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Suggest peer judging. Nice, light, informal and best of all, you're off the hook.

Good luck and I hope everyone enjoys themselves.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jeepers Creepers

I did a fair bit of car judging in my younger days.
First of all, find out how many cars are to be judged by each person and how long you have to do it.
Work out how long you have to inspect each car and stick to it. (IE: 10 minutes per car is only 6 judged in an hour)
You will pick up a bit of time on the dungers, but you'll use that extra time on a good one normally.

This was how I approached each car.

Lets say for interest, each category (body and paint, interior/trim, engine bay) has a possible total of 20 points.

For turning up and displaying the car, In my head, i would award them half points. (In this case, 10 points)
From 10 out of twenty, the points would quickly go up or down depending on condition of each category.
The crappier cars are easy, 3 or 4 out of 20 and move on.
The better cars, is where it got interesting as you try to take in what's been achieved

Its easy to get 13 or 14 out of 20 for body and paint, but only 4 or 5 out of 20 for engine bay, as nobody wants to spend the time on something not many get to see.
As soon as you get a genuine 18 or 19 out of 20 car, you'll know it and start to look harder at it

Be hard on them and be consistent in your approach.
Never give 20 out of 20 for any car on a first inspection.

Lets say, 8 cars done and you've given a car top marks.... and then you find a better car down the paddock.
Use half marks if you have to and never ever tell an owner what you scored them.
In fact, try really hard, to never speak with an owner..... you'll be there all day and half the night.

I once, had 2 cars at a regional car show come in at equal points.
The 1st car had been driven to the show and did have a couple of tiny stone chips on it.
The 2nd car was trailered to the show and never driven as I had judged it several times before.

Being a regional style of show, car #1 got the win.
You have to make your own decision on something like that.

Get a copy of the judging sheet prior and practice on your own car or a mates car.

Good luck....  8)

Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

76eldo

Colin

You have put a lot of thought into how to structure the classes.

Then you have to decide I how many awards you will be able to give out depending on the budget.

Some shows have moved to a Top 50 selection with a best original and a best modified award. Also a overall best of show.

There's a lot of different ways to do it whether you do peer judging or you three do the actual judging which may be very cumbersome.

For a good way to do peer judging, each entrant gets a numbered ballot that matches their car or registration number. 

They get to vote for a car in each class and when you tabulate the results it's just a numerical process. For your first time doing this and having a lot going on that would be the way to go. 
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

dochawk

Possibly use "total points"

Maybe half from "traditional", and the. For story, crowd favorite, time owned, repairs/restoration by owner
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

As usual, I probably have a different viewpoint.
My car is very far from a show winner so this may be a different perspective. I just came from a show today and I was just there to have fun. There are obviously those who take the judging VERY seriously. (I hope I don't offend anyone here). Those serious ones will be very upset if the car is not judged far better than a lesser car. This is your first judging so I would think that is a possibility.
I don't really have an answer for you, but I want to point that out to you. If you pis them off, they won't be there next year.
Here is a flier from the show I went to today. There seemed to be a good range of classes.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on September 18, 2016, 04:09:01 PM
I just came from a show today and I was just there to have fun. There are obviously those who take the judging VERY seriously. (I hope I don't offend anyone here). Those serious ones will be very upset if the car is not judged far better than a lesser car. This is your first judging so I would think that is a possibility.
I don't really have an answer for you, but I want to point that out to you. If you pis them off, they won't be there next year

That was my point but I think Jeff said it better.    If you are only going to get 20 cars entered it won't make much sense to have 20 (or more) classes and those 20 cars may have very little in common with each other.   Trick will be finding what they do have in common and work with that. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

RobW

the car competes against itself. it shouldn't matter what else is in the class. say for example the class is stock unmodified 70-80. a nice 70 chevelle ss ls6 might get beat by a perfect 78 pinto. and that's how it should be.
my 73 coupe always show in the stock class with whatever else falls into the year range. sometimes a monte takes first, and me and a Lincoln mk111 tie. it all depends on authenticity.
other shows all the shiny red chromed out cars win. that's not how should be.
Rob Wirsing

55 cadi

I have been a judge back in the early 90's and on a wide array of cars.

Two ways were done like that.

1. They had about 4-5 judges, each person looked at something specific and judged that area, i.e.- paint, condition,/ body, like body seems, screws there or missing, / custome, things added to car and if it works / engine, detail / interior, clean, working and such.

2. Was 5-6 people judged and all went over each car gave points on car how it is the whole car, then they added the points and based on that gave awards. Since different people had different styles the points would reflect that.
These were shows for mostly custome cars and some original, you probably won't know every car and if it's original but for the most part you will figure out.

A friend of mine judges concourse shows and they judge on a whole different level than a local show, he also judged with me on the local shows.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Chuck Patton

Hello Colin

Your format is good.  I would add don't give an award to a friend.  The old boys club is the reason our hobby can't grow.  Be kind and fair to help every entrant feel special and learn how to improve their vehicle.  Leave the structure for the clowns.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

55 cadi

....." Leave the structure for the clowns"?

Not sure what you mean by that
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

dochawk

Quote from: 55 cadi on September 19, 2016, 05:16:03 PM
....." Leave the structure for the clowns"?

Not sure what you mean by that

Clowns are known for packing large numbers of themselves in tiny structures . . .

:)

So you could have a "most clowns in trunk" prize . . .

(Of course, you could end up with a staggering number of clowns staggering about if everyone brought some . . .)
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I would highly recommend NOT having any formal judging at
a neighborhood show like this.  Have a participation award
for each entry (small plaque).

You might also have attendees vote for a "Peoples Choice"
award.  In this way, you are not setting yourself up for any
hard feelings or issues that could arrive.  Judges with little
or no experience are never a good idea.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Maynard Krebs

I very strongly agree with Mike Josephic on this subject!