News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How to polarize a generator on a 56 Cadillac

Started by caddie c, September 21, 2016, 09:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddie c

I replace my voltage regulator and had generator rebuilt will i have to polarize generator and voltage or just one,if i have to do generator do i go from field to arm on generator or voltage regulator terminals.Thanks

J. Gomez

Johnson,

If you have the Service Manual section 9 page 9-14 show how to polarize the generator.

The VR requires no polarization as its agnostic to polarity. Because polarization is done most of the time at the VR the assumption is the VR would also requires it.

The steps on the manual shows once everything is connected battery, generator and VR; “momentarily connect a jumper lead on the regulator, across “Gen” and “Bat” terminals before starting the engine, to assure correct polarity”.

HTH

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

caddie c