News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

69 cad neutral safety switch

Started by 1969cadillac, September 28, 2016, 08:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969cadillac

hello !

I am restoring the steering column on a 69 limo

the starter / neutral safety switch appears to have a problem :

it wont do into drive 2 or drive 1 .- I am scared to force it and break it!

I seem to remember that it used to be ok BEFORE I took it off the column and started to move it by hand .

any ideas please ?

Murray Mules

35-709

This is for 1973!  May or may not be the same for yours --- assuming you do not have or have not read the '69 manual for your car.

From the 1973 shop manual ---
"#1.  Place transmission shift lever in NEUTRAL detent.

#4.  Install switch assembly on steering column, aligning contact carrier blade with slot in shift tube.  And the part often missed --- With switch tight against column, slide switch down column until bosses on casting rest on bottom edge of slot in outer jacket.  Bosses extend below the mounting surface.

#5. Place clamp on switch and install screw to tighten clamp making sure that shift lever is in NEUTRAL detent while this operation is performed.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think the factory settings are for a new switch, where the lever is in the correct location when purchased.

In the case of a removed switch, it will depend of what position the shift lever was in when the switch was removed.

But, in this case, I would be suggesting that the plastic arm be positioned in the centre of travel, and the gear lever the same, and it should simply slip into position.

The secret is to not force things.    And carefully check the operation before securing the clamp.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

Yes, but not that hard to move the plastic "blade" and find the neutral position with a small diameter drill bit.  There is a hole for it, done it on a couple of occasions.

35-709

For purposes of illustration, below is a picture of a NSS from a '73 Cadillac with a drill bit inserted to show the "slider" is in the neutral position.  There is a notch in the inside "slider" that will line up with the notch in the outside plastic piece and as you slowly slide the blade, the drill bit (a 3/32 in this case) will fall into that notch in the slider --- neutral.

Before doing that you can move the slider through its travel to check that the contacts inside are working the back-up lights with a continuity tester and that a connection is made to allow starter operation in only Park and Neutral.

1969cadillac

hello Bruce - I have fitted the switch as per instructions

pls see pics attached

it does appear to work now - but there is some resistance going from drive to D2 and to D1 - is this normal?

I also notice that there appears to be a hole in the face of the switch that seems to line up with the drive position

thanks for your help - Murray

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have found that when operating the switch off the column, it can be rather stiff in operation, but one has to remember that it is a rotational switch, and not a simple straight movement.

I have found the best way is to hold the plastic "arm" with a pair of needle-nose pliers, and turn the pliers in a circle.   This stops the switch from trying to dig into the sides of the outer.

As for resistance, yes, there is some, and if you manually operated the switch, you might have noticed it.

Plus, there is resistance as the operation of the gear lever is also rolling over the detents within the transmission.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

1969cadillac

hello Bruce - I think I have got it now - thanks for your help !

I have also replied to you about  my question about the speedo head  - please read and see what you think - I mistakenly put this one under general discussion !

Murray