News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Dimmer Switch With Guidematic, '68 Eldorado

Started by joeinbcs, September 29, 2016, 03:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeinbcs

Damn...I can't find one of these anywhere...
Most of our cars have this option...what are y'all doing?
Will a regular dimmer switch work if you just leave the green wire off?
Thanks for any help!
Joe
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

James Landi

How about a temporary "work around" --- especially if the switch is not available.  A couple of "field relays" and 2 toggle switch (under dash mounted) could get you on the road. You'd also learn a great deal in the process, and you can use the car without putting a strain on the alternator, battery, and your nervous system.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Joe,

If you're looking for the three prong high beam foot switch, I bought one for my '66 about a year ago;
Auto-Tech Warehouse - CA
626-337-0605
Manuf: WEL; PN: UDS420   About $6.00

HTH,
Ralph

BTW, Are you the Joe N.  from the MKII Forum?
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

joeinbcs

The switch has three spade connectors on the top side and another spade connector on the bottom side.
Three spade connectors are available everywhere, the correct switch for cars with guidematic, nowhere.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Joe,

I wrote that description from memory and should have said 4 spade. My car has Autronic Eye and Twilight Sentenal
2018 GMC Yukon

joeinbcs

Thanks, Ralph.
I tried a three spade switch, and It had no effect (depressing the switch had no effect, and my high beams stayed on).
I'm thinking the problem may be elsewhere. While snooping around, I managed to pull the spade connector off the electropnenumatic relay, so another thing to fix😡  And, yes, I had a Mark II for a while and was active on the Mark II Forum then.
Thanks, Joe
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Joe,

Your MKII was a great looking car. If you apply the same knowledge and talent to Cadillacs you'll be well rewarded and your neighbors will be jealous of a sweet ride. 
2018 GMC Yukon

Glen

Those switches are out there.  I have a brand new one waiting to go in my 68 ELDO.  But for the life of me I cannot remember where I got it.     
It should not be hard to test the switch. 

The headlight switch is also available but you have to go to a Pontiac web site.  They used the same headlight switch with the vacuum valve. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

joeinbcs

Quote from: Glen on September 30, 2016, 01:18:52 AM
Those switches are out there.  I have a brand new one waiting to go in my 68 ELDO.  But for the life of me I cannot remember where I got it.     

The headlight switch is also available but you have to go to a Pontiac web site.  They used the same headlight switch with the vacuum valve. 

Well, if you happen to find a source, please let me know...I'm still searching. 
As for the headlight switch, yes, I bought a Pontiac switch for my last '68 Eldorado...if only I could remember where I bought it from....LOL.  But that car had neither Guidematic nor Twilight Sentinel.  I can't remember if this is an issue using the Pontiac issue...
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

joeinbcs

Quote from: Glen on September 30, 2016, 01:18:52 AM

I think this is what I bought for my previous '68 Eldorado, which had neither Guidematic nor Twilight Sentinel.  Not sure if it will work with this car that has both.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

joeinbcs

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on September 29, 2016, 04:31:35 PM
Joe,

If you're looking for the three prong high beam foot switch, I bought one for my '66 about a year ago;
Auto-Tech Warehouse - CA
626-337-0605
Manuf: WEL; PN: UDS420   About $6.00

HTH,
Ralph

BTW, Are you the Joe N.  from the MKII Forum?
Ralph, Hope I don't get in trouble for posting a non-Cadillac, but here's my Mark II, now owned by an Austin billionaire...
Best, Joe
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

Glen

Quote from: joeinbcs on September 30, 2016, 07:46:52 AM
I think this is what I bought for my previous '68 Eldorado, which had neither Guidematic nor Twilight Sentinel.  Not sure if it will work with this car that has both.

The light switch will work with or without the Guide-matic and/or Twilight Sentinel.  You do have to remove the resistors that mount between the dash and the switch and put them on the new switch. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

russ austin

61-69 are the same.   I have good used guide matic dimmer switches, that have been tested.   Shoot me an email to;  russ85747@hotmail.com 
R.Austin