News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

eldorado wheels

Started by Viator Trudeau, September 30, 2016, 10:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

The edge of the wheel where the hub cap teeth grip the very edge of the rim, the rim is curled down a bit to where the teeth of the cap are to are very hard to slip past the turned edge and almost imppossible to remove the cap.
I have eight wheels on two eldos and five spares.  this one only has this deformed rim edge.
Has any ever had a rim like this,  and what to do with it.   Most of my spare wheels are bent and do not balance well on the road.

bcroe

On some of my wheels the very edge of the rim has gotten a knock
that bent it a bit.  I have taken a heavy hammer and tapped them
back out, so the rim spins pretty smoothly, with good results.  But
I would throw out a rim bent between the center and near the edge. 

Have not seen the edge condition you describe.  How about, take a
grinder and remove the bit of offending metal?  Bruce Roe

The Tassie Devil(le)

You could always find an engineering company with a big lathe that can roll the rim back into shape.

Years ago, we had a bodyworks here that had a special rim re-rolling machine, and it got a lot of use.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

From what you are describing, it seems to be just the edge where the wheel cover teeth grab the ledge.

You can bang this out with a hammer and punch, but expect it to take some time and a lot of hammering. I had one wheel like that, I took a lot of hammering to get it back to where the wheel cover would go on easily. But seeing as these are ElDorado wheesl, you need to do whatever it takes to keep them in service.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Viator Trudeau

RE: ELDO wheels, hammering out the " hook" in the edge of the ledge would do the cure for this condition.     
A large Lethe would work; with a roller en gauging the under side of the lip, with a back up roller on the top side would do the job.  Set up and some tools from the back of the tool room could be used. I do not know of any one who could do this.    Thanks for the advice.

V.Trudeau

dochawk

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)