News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Correct white wall

Started by atime, October 04, 2016, 06:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atime

what is the correct white wall size for a 1980 Eldorado, and what is good tire brand to go with? My tires look like new but are 18 years old and have some cracking. Thanks for any advice, Martin

Scot Minesinger

First priority is get a good tire, because this is critical on a front drive Cadillac of this era.  Have resolved the twitching and what not in the past with tire replacement on these 1967-85 Eldorados.  There may be low price leaders available and tempting, but it may not be a good tire.  Rear drive cars are more tolerant of low quality tires.

Getting a correct whitewall may require a custom tire from Diamondback or others.  However you may be able to get very close with a conventional off the shelf tire.  I read good things about Vogue and Diamondback.  The correct whitewall width should be in the factory brochure used to sell the car at dealer (not owners manual or shop manual).  Have owned Hancook and Firestone 380 and was not happy.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

fishnjim

That was back in the day of the double stripe WW, I think.   I seem to remember eagles or double eagles on these.  Some were white and some two color depending on the wheel.   Not certain but it was a premium tire.   A that era single would be around .75 - 1" wide.   The thin single lines ones were earlier, I believe.
ps:I haven't found a good source of what size WW goes with what make and model, so if someone knows where to document this it would be helpful.   
We have WW thickness arguments all the time.   I resort to factory sales pictures and scale from the picture when I'm uncertain.

936CD69

1980 Data Book says wide whitewall tire..I believe about 1.6" is correct?
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302