News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 oil bath air filter how,,why,,who

Started by 60eldo, October 04, 2016, 08:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Just found my air filter for my 57. Can someone explain this system to me? Should I add oil,,,,where,,,,can I just put in a paper filter,,,never seen this,,,is oil bath better? Where do you buy this hairy stuff in the top of the filter,,,who thought of this
Jon. Klu

55 cadi

Well I have a 55 and if it's the same then there should be a line in the lower bowl pan to fill the engine oil to.

Yes you can use a paper filter, you would remove the center portion, take the lower section that had oil in it and the upper section down to local auto parts store and start checking to see what one fits in the space with the top in place.

I found one for mine and bought it ($8) just in case I wanted to try it out.

I have not tried it yet due to the thought that when you put the paper filter in, it will change the amount of air going into carb so the mixture may have to be adjusted for that on the carb. I could be wronge, may not need to adjust, I have been busy with more important things on the Cadillac to work on. I will try it out soon I imagine.

Don't get taken by the ones on epay,  all it is, is the same cheap filter from auto parts store.
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
  I converted my filter about 8 years ago . i remachined a new top to the exact measurements of the original  top half . Then added a paper Filter  . This way i still have the original oil bath.

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

D.Yaros

I am no expert in this area; although I converted my 1955 oil bath filter to paper.  That said, it is my understanding, which may be contrary to conventional  thinking, that the oil bath does a better job of filtering the air than the paper element.

The reason for the switch was more one of ease and convenience both at the factory and after purchase than of efficient filtration.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

m-mman

Oil bath filters . . . Hard to imagine but for many, many years no car had any type of air filter. My 1929 just sucks up the air from between the valley and into the engine. I dont think any car had a filter before the early 1930s AND THIS WAS WHEN ALL ROADS WERE DIRT!

Eventually it was recognized that sandblasting your valves and cylinders as you drove was not a good idea.
An oil bath filter is a very good FILTER. Especially in very dirty environments and in a low tech situation.

You understand how in a paper (dry) filter, the air passes through a piece of paper. There are very small spaces between the fibers that compose the paper that allow passage of air molecules but stop the larger dirt particles. When plugged The paper cannot be cleaned but can only be disposed of and replaced. This design requires a constant supply of available parts.

In an oil bath filter the incoming air takes a PATH that aims the flow DOWN at the pool of oil  Then the air PATH is suddenly turned 180 degrees and directed UPWARD. The air flow makes a U-turn over the pool of oil. Air molecules are light and make this turn easily. The larger dirt particles however cannot turn quickly and continue straight down and become trapped in the oil. (Search: "La Brea Tar Pits" to see how this works with dinosaurs)   Very effective actually. Oil bath filters were and are still used in heavy equipment that operate in very dirty situations. (think bulldozer and earth mover)

When suitably contaminated the pool of dirty oil can be poured out, the reservoir can be cleaned with solvent and new oil added. Simple and no additional parts are needed.

Yes there is a mesh higher up in the air cleaner (copper? brass?, straw? steel wool?) This is where any oil fumes or splash can collect and not be sucked into the engine. It also acts as a secondary filter and as it becomes covered with a film of oil (some maintenance directions suggest washing and coating with a thin film of oil) provides another surface for the smaller dirty particles to affix to.

Seems strange today, but was a big improvement from what came before it.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

TJ Hopland

I don't have the part number handy but at Summit Racing I found a K&N filter assembly that was like 10" in diameter.   It had a chrome lid and the smaller diameter hole base that fit the older carter and rochester carbs.  I used it that way till I got things dialed in then was able to ditch the lower plate and place the new element in the old housing then the chrome lid with a nut then the OE lid.   From the outside it looks stock. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

buefchris

I found a a Fram filter 14"dia by 4"tall for $2 at the local swap meet.
A cheap air filter top for $2 at said meet.
Removed the center section of the housing and installed new parts,simple. ;D

Since I was never going to go back to oil, I cut the inner flange down to the "oil fill" line  for better breathing...maybe.