News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wet trunk compartment

Started by 7gen, October 05, 2016, 08:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7gen

I got caught in a real frog strangler and found that water had leaked in around the trunk seal. Mostly the rear (lock) end of the trunk but the entire width of the car. Some up the sides as well. So I need to replace the entire trunk lid gasket and get a new trunk carpet kit (the one that came with the car could stand some freshening).

I'm looking at Steele Rubber for the trunk gasket - any thoughts pro or con?

The trunk carpet kit is something I really need advice on. The one that got soaked was a black felt on pressboard affair. The boards were fine as far as they went but the previous owner made cutouts for the spare tire fastener and tire jack, then glued the felt right to the trunk floor - no press board in those areas. Is this normally done? The pressboards only cover up to the spare tire fastener area, so if I didn't do something, I'd have a partly done compartment. What is the recommendation for this? Thanks!!

dplotkin

Steele rubber makes nice trunk weatherstrip. Always a good idea to state year and model when asking for help.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Scot Minesinger

agree with Dan.  Will add that it is not that easy to install ( I have remove engines, aligned doors after replacing hinge pins) and I always get a body shop to do it for the 60-70 vintages.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

7gen

Sorry. 76 Eldorado convertible.

Is there something that the trunk gasket instructions are not saying?  I figured it would be a relatively easy remove and replace.

35-709

When you get done with the rubber gasket(s), and before you replace the carpeting , have a trusted friend or spouse  ;D spray water on the trunk lid and around the rear of the convertible top while you are closed in the the trunk with a good flashlight to make sure you got all the leaks.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

Don't forget to closely check the convertible top drain.   This is a piece of top material that is flexible, and hangs down to drain away the water that runs off the top around the rear trim.

Puncture that piece, and you are in trouble.   Mine was stiff, and got hit as I was loading up my trunk.   Silicone fixed the problem.

The picture shows the drain material, hanging, and in situ.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

7gen

Is that from the Fisher Body Guide book?

7gen

I found the picture on 8-94 in my Fisher body guide. The gutter is NOT connected to the body - the retaining clips are gone. I bet that that is part of my problem.

7gen

Where does the water go that collects in the gutter?

In my situation, I had obvious trunk seal problems - there was considerable wetness along the back edge of the trunk. However, I had a small wet spot in the middle of the front edge of the trunk, right under there the tire jack attaches. Not much but some wet. I bet that the missing center retaining clip is the culprit there.