News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Stainless Restoration -Any Recommendations?

Started by P. Manoogian, October 08, 2016, 04:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P. Manoogian

1961 Eldorado door panel stainless that divides the carpet from the upper door panel. The problem is there is a metal insert that is held in by the entire perimeter being crimped. This makes it virtually impossible to "pick and file" the dings. The guy that did the stainless on the rest if the car won't do it because of this insert.

Anyone have experience with this issues or can offer any suggestions?

Thanks
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Peter,

Can you post an overview and detail picture?
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

P. Manoogian

Hope these help....

Jeff Wilk

Yep.....very carefully uncrimp two or three edges with a plastic tool so you dent the SS more and then have your stainless guy work his magic. Then it sounds like you get to replace it.  If the recrimping is too risky all around use a silicone caulk along the entire back and then crimp in only a couple of places.  Works well and not noticeable once reinstalled and will not come apart.

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Peter,

When ever I restore stainless I start with the full acceptance that I may make it worse and always try to know in advance there's a replacement out there. It gives me the courage to take the first step.

I would follow Jeff's suggestion but I'd use a wide thin metal blade  to avoid local kinks. Pry it slowly in multiple steps a little bit at each location on the lower edge. Any distortion will be less obvious.  You must overlap each pry location to avoid distorting the front side. Loosen and bend one long edge but only loosen the crimp on the other edge. Lastly pry and bend one of the short edges. You don't have to bend the edge 90 degrees. Once you get the inner piece with barbs lose enough to rattle try pulling up on one of the end barbs with a pliers. The bent edge may be flexible to roll and strip the inner piece out.

If you've not considered this, you may want to check whether the CDV used the same strip. In '66 all coupe and convertible doors have the same chrome trim  at this location. Buying a good replacement will likely be more cost effective.

Please let us know how you make out.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

P. Manoogian

Hi Ralph,

I did buy a pair on e bay although they are for a 62 very and have reflectors built in. I have the same molding from a 4 door that I will experiment on using the techniques you described.

Thanks for taking the time.

PM

Jeff Wilk

Slow and steady wins the race as they say. Ralphs addition of using a wide tool like a wide putty knife is important. When I did this on my '59 I did find that a plastic wide blade putty knife worked better than a steel one. No it was not as fast but it also gave less chance to dent the money side of the SS from the back since the blade would bend once I began to pry too hard. In spots where the crimp would not give I kept the plastic blade in place as a barrier to cover the back side of the metal plate and then used a narrower blade steel putty knife to persuade the stubborn crimped edge.  Also as Ralph detailed, you only need to loosen the crimp enough to get that backer off, no need to fully open it up.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

P. Manoogian

Yes, it did help. I will head to Home Cheepo to find a plastic putty knife. Great suggestions!