News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Is this '72 fuel tank connected correctly?

Started by dochawk, October 09, 2016, 04:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dochawk

This is a '72 Eldorado convertible with AC.  Four hoses to the tank, plus the sending unit . . .

This view is with my from underneath, with the driver's side to the right of the picture, and the back of the car to the bottom.

My concern is with the pair to the middle of the tank.  Do I have these in the right order, or is the connected one to the wrong connector?  If it is, I think I need a hose perhaps an inch longer, which is going to be a bear to get on with the tank halfway in place . . .

Larger view at http://dochawk.org/caddie/IMG_5010.jpg
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Scot Minesinger

Richard,

When I did this job on a 72 Eldorado the metal lines were each a different size, so it is less likely to cross the lines.  The supply is of course larger than return, 3/8" I think and connect to sender.  You should mount the tank and then deal with rubber lines.  You can trace the lines back to fuel pump to be sure you got supply and return right.  In your photo one of the lines looks kinked.  I always replace these if history is not known even if they look OK, because heck it is less than a foot of rubber hose for each connection - why chance it.  If you do cross the lines, the car will not be able to draw gas and you will find out real quick.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

dochawk

These are all new lines at the tank, although the largest seems to be a third, non-existent 3/8 size.

I think the fuel is actually drawn from the sending unit, isn't it?

At the moment, the tank is hanging from the support traps, and still has a couple of inches of bolt, which should solve that kink.
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

TJ Hopland

Was this one of the years that just had the 2 lines on the sending unit then a couple more lines to the top of the tank that had to do with venting that lead to some magic box?   I know that was gone by 73 but maybe 72 still had that?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dochawk

If memory serves, two into the sending unit, one of which goes to the "sock" filter that is disintegrated in my case.

Four nipples connected to the tank itself, on the front edge, iin three different sizes, two near each corner.