News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1981 Eldorado ELC question

Started by traumadog, October 09, 2016, 06:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traumadog

Just replaced the rear shocks on my 1981 Eldorado - and the ELC compressor continues to run without lifting the rear ride height.  I double-checked the installation and there's pressure in the air line at both ends after the compressor stops.

Now the instructions I have also say to replace the spring inside the compressor drier - but that sucker's on tight.  Any ideas on how to get it open to replace that spring, or what else I might be missing? 

Thanks!

TJ Hopland

The compressor may just be shot from age or running too much due to leaks in the system.    There is a Schrader (tire) valve on the side of the compressor.   Try putting air in there and see if it raises and holds.    Its gonna take in the 75-125 psi range to get the back end up.    Besides the shocks themselves leaking and lines I have seen the dryer tank thing leak around its seems. 

Once you get those issues resolved be ready to find out the level sensor/module isn't working correctly either.  Those seem to be the weakest part of the whole system and are very hard to find in working condition.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

traumadog

The system had ~40 psi at the valve.  Pumped it up to 90 with a small compressor that I have - and it didn't go up.  It did bleed down again over a few minutes (hence the spring question).

Another thought - there was no instruction to "release" the piston for the shock - not sure if it was needed.  The length for the aftermarket one I removed was longer than the AC Delco one (504-566) I installed.

TJ Hopland

90 should have been plenty to see some sort of response.    Must be some blockage in your system.    If you unclip the air line from the dryer tank thing and let it run will it build pressure against your finger?    Just wondering if you are blocked in the compressor or the lines.   

I have not had to deal with the spring valve you are talking about so I can't help there.

I have had them where the dryer failed or got overwhelmed and was shooting white goo into the system.   I just gave up and when to manual fill.  Kit comes with some of the shocks if not can be ordered separate.

Compressors were pretty similar in a lot of GM stuff in the 78-85 era, it was only the mounting bracket that was unique to a specific car.   Wagons often had them as well as the high end models such as a 98 or Electra.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason