News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Thoughts on looking at a 1980 Eldorado convertible

Started by dochawk, October 13, 2016, 06:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dochawk

I have a lead on a 1980 Eldorado convertible to be sold at a lien sale.

I presume it's a Hess & Eisenhardt conversion.

Any thoughts on what to look at/watch for would be helpful.   This appears to be a "look but don't touch" inspection that I can do tomorrow.

Not having a running convertible is driving me nuts at the moment.  It's October in Las Vegas, and I have this metal thing over my head . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

James Landi

I own an '85 Convertible and have owned an '84 Convertible and an '83 Eldorado Roadster.  The GM produced '84 and '85 COnvertibles were extraordinarily expensive and are very different and superior driving cars (suspension??) when compared with the much less expensive hardtops--- so I have to wonder what GM did to create this overall superior impression... and that begs the question regarding the "conversions" from 1980.  I do know that the back seat area and the seating and appointments in general are far superior when compared to the conversions.  HOWEVER... all that being said, the 1980 conversion DOESNOT have the 4100 engine--- so, if all this information sounds somewhat cautionary, I can attest to the fact that I love my 1985 so much, that I spend over $5,000 to convert and substitute a reliable Old engine in it.  If you can purchase it at the "right" price, and it passes a thorough mechanical and frame inspection, go for it...

76eldo

Richard,

Here's the main thing, condition, condition, condition.

I own a 1980 Hess & Eisenhardt Eldorado convertible.  It's in very nice shape.  Many of these cars however had rough lives and are really beat.  Here are a few things I can tell you...

1.  The top assembly and electronics can be finicky as well as the rear quarter window alignment.
As designed, there is an electronic relay box behind the rear seat, visible from the trunk that controls the top and rear window motion.  The reason for this is to delay the top from starting to fold down until the quarter windows are at least halfway down.  Failure to drop the rear quarter windows can cause the top to come down on top of the raised rear quarter glass and break it.  Replacements are basically non existent.

2.  The rear upholstery modifications are a bit crude and ill fitting on most of these cars.  They modified existing panels and made new ones but they never fit quite correctly.

3.  If the car has not been restored or completely stripped and repainted, don't be surprised if the paint is cracking or checking on the rear quarters and deck lid.  Because of the cut made at the tops of the quarters and all of the mods to the quarters every car was resprayed from the doors back and the paint is pretty thick.

4.  The top latches are a poor design and the small latch that you have to put pressure on to latch the top can easily break off and replacements are extremely hard to find.

5.  The top switch gets power from an added wire coming out of the engine compartment, going through a circuit breaker dangling under the steering column.  If the top does not work, start looking there.

6.  They took out the side view mirror adjustment and squared up the hole to hold a square double switch for the front windows and installed the rear window switches where the fronts were.  They used a cheap T-tap connector to feed power to the rear windows and these commonly fail.  The fix is to strip, solder, and heat shrink that connection if or when it fails and you lose window function.

7.  Most of the Hess cars were fully optioned including illuminated entry.

8.  They retained a full headliner and functional courtesy lights on the rear sail panels.  There is some type of mercury switch that shuts off the rear courtesy lights when the top is folded down.

9.  The cars all came from Hess with a custom vinyl boot to fasten over the top when it's retracted and a grey felt bag to hold the jack and handle since the attachment on the rear bulkhead is missing because the rear bulkhead is removed.

10.  The driver's door edge should have a sticker indicating the modifications.

11.  There's a rare die cast H & E hood ornament that usually badly pitted or missing and replaced with a standard Eldo one.

If you want to get in touch, shoot me an email.

Good luck,

Brian

(Photos below for reference)  The black car I currently own, the ultra rare touring coupe convertible was sold.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

dochawk

It looks, well, horrible . . .

Odometer say 24k; don't know whether that's just 124, or 224, or 324 . . .

At lest the driver's seat is power, as is the driver mirror.  The boot is faded, but intact.

Aside from that, there's not much positive:

I may go out of horrified fascination, but would there be any reason to pay more than $250 for this??

OH, and it appears to have no dents.

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

sding

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: dochawk on October 14, 2016, 05:54:19 PM
I may go out of horrified fascination, but would there be any reason to pay more than $250 for this??

Um....no - this side of needing it for parts.

It is a 100% certified USDA Grade A Rodent with a capital R - also, as in RUN.

**It is NOT a 1980, nor is it even an '81. It is a 4100 powered car (1982+) as indicated by 3 buttons on the fuel data panel.  1980 has 2; 1981 has 4.

Climate Control unit is also for a 4100.  1980 & 1981 do not have button for outside temperature display. This one does.

That means RUN twice as fast.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

I have a 1981 Hess Eldo I'd sell for about $6500.

Email me for info if interested.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

dochawk

I don't know if it's running.

After looking at the 50 or so cars to be auctioned tomorrow as a group, I suspect most were driven somewhere to be abandoned . .

I am surprised that they'd get the year wrong, though.  I'd assume they'd pull that straight from the vin.  I meant o capture the vin when I went, but forgot in my surprise.

And thanks, 76, but this isn't a vintage I had a particular interest in; I just tripped over it--I know one of their drivers who knows I'm looking, and he mentioned it to my wife.   

I thought it might be a way to have a convertible until I have the others going.  For about $1,500 plus installation, I can have the Miata going (and a few hundred for the nose and side mirrors, I suppose).  And it has a far better wind pocket for the driver than a car the size of the '80 could ever have, let alone the '72 (it actually pushes gently *down* on the brim of my hat, but doesn't blow at me from the side at freeway speed).  And the '72 is within easy reach, and far more my size of car.

But this would have been a nice interim car . . . . *sigh*

Carl Fielding

Get the Miata going ASAP. Double clutch all shifts up and down until you can do that almost as fast as a normal straight shift. Lightning quick shifts with minimal resistance (even less than depending on the synchros - ideally you are doing a "synchro assist"). The best way to learn to double clutch a crashbox , is to practice , practice , practice on a synchro trans. Please call me when you get a few idle minutes. The rain has set in here , usually persists for 6 - 8 months. That is why it is so green here. I hope I get to do some great Winter desert driving again. Resist ALL temptation , and do not buy any more project cars. Save your nickels and save your dimes , for you know there will come a time when you can buy a real fine low mileage perfect Cadillac. That one will be yours for about 1/3 (or less) , the cost of trying to turn a sows ear beater into a still somewhat lesser car. And you will get to drive it (do not EVER park in the sun) , instead of hanging it from the garage roof trusses. Make sense ?

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Ok, I feel better about my interior now.
Thank you.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

76eldo

Radio layout and door panels indicate that the car is a 1980.
Condition is beyond horrible.
The $500 parts car I bought a few years ago wading much better shape.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

dochawk

Some poor sucker paid $1,000 (plus about another $100 in tax & title) for it . . .

bcroe

Quote from: James Landi
I own an '85 Convertible and have owned an '84 Convertible and an '83 Eldorado Roadster.  The GM produced '84 and '85 COnvertibles were extraordinarily expensive and are very different and superior driving cars (suspension??) when compared with the much less expensive hardtops--- so I have to wonder what GM did to create this overall superior impression...

Interesting.  Have you any idea how they achieved the "superior driving"?  My 79 (not a convertible) had
handling issues, which took quite a lot of time and effort to cure.  I do know, there were changes related
to the frame in 82.  Bruce Roe

76eldo

The only ones that had great handling were any of the Eldos with the touring suspension option. The only one I ever saw was the true touring coupe that I had that was converted by Hess.

Dave Yaros also has a Hess Eldo with touring suspension.

Other than that the only parts in the ASC or Hess cars is some additional bracing in the rear quarter area and some superficial looking brackets welded on underneath and up by the core support.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bcroe

If the maintenance is as bad as the exterior, there isn't much to salvage.  Lets see an engine. 

I don't know what parts the touring suspension involves; it took more than torsion bars and
sway bars to fix mine.  Bruce Roe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: bcroe on October 16, 2016, 06:40:35 PM
  Lets see an engine. 

Car is either 1982 or 1983. Engine is an HT4100.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Well gosh, guys. I think you were just a little hard on this poor car. After all, the carpet and dash are pretty shiny. (Of course, they could have suspended those items in mid-air and backed the car into them...)

NICE pattern the wind made of the leather on the seats.

(But honey, it's the one I've always wanted!)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

bcroe

A local has a diesel you can have for $400.  Says one year it didn't start so he left it there.  I'll wait
another year and offer him $200.  After I put in an Olds 403 it will be a performer.  Bruce Roe

Scot Minesinger

One of the best things that happened to you Richard this year is that you did not buy the car.  Even if it was gifted to you, it would have been a major problem.  The horrific cosmetic condition, rust and all aside, the 4.1 engine just is the frosting on this poison cake. 

As always is the standard, the least expensive classic is the nicest that you can afford.  However, it is understood that a presentable cosmetic classic that is mechanically perfect is nice because it is more worry free.  This car was beyond that stage - just an eyesore.  Once your 72 Eldorado is fixed, life will be great again.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

JerRita

I have an 84 H and E touring suspension convertible I like it Had the 4100 rebuilt w/ the upgrades So far so good JeRita
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs