News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

drilling the ignition

Started by ozzies 65, October 19, 2016, 06:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzies 65

I know I have done this before on another car but I want to make sure.
1965 cadillac Coupe de Ville
when drilling the ignition out (no keys). I go to the left of the key hole right? and once I do that about 2" in I should be able to them turn the key hole with anything. insert paper clip and it pops out right?
just trying to refresh and make this annoying task as easy as possible.

I have exhausted all other options.

CadillacRob

I did it on my 56 just straight down the key hole.  Started small and worked my way up.  There was a little brass colored block I had to dig out with a pick.  Frustrating and time consuming but it can be done.  Wrap a piece of colored tape around your drill bits where you should stop.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Why drill??? Get the code off the door handles or have a locksmith make a key.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

ozzies 65

One because it is a extreme pain in the butt to get the locks out of the doors. And the tweaker I bought it off of lost the keys and I don't want to out a bunch of money into a car that some crankster can steal later.
Hope that makes sense. Just looking for drilling info.

Bobby B

Quote from: ozzies 65 on October 20, 2016, 12:11:16 AM
Hope that makes sense.

None whatsoever.....The world is full of TWEAKERS  and CRANKSTERS, so get used to it. :o
                                                                                                                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

bcroe

Quote from: Bobby BNone whatsoever.....The world is full of TWEAKERS  and CRANKSTERS, so get used to it. Bobby 

Perhaps, I'll not get used to it.  When I get a car, I change the locks
to my standard; one set of keys runs my 5 cars.  Bruce Roe

ozzies 65

well I drilled the lock out and am going to do the same on the 66 tomorrow, so I am sort of a master now.
left side of the key hole about an inch to 1.25 deep the copper rectangle falls out, or get with a small screw driver and it clicks left and pulls out.
so there you go I answered my own question.
and I don't have to get used to anything. tweakers suck, end of story!

fishnjim

I'd comment drilling's not the recommended approach for restoration and preservation.
It's too easy to make/get keys.  Most of the post war vintage, would fit multiple cars.   Getting a locksmith to come out is more difficult/costly than it used to be.   
I got several sets from the seller and only one worked and it was the wrong type key for trunk, but none for the doors.   All fixed except trunk.   Not there yet.
GM archive won't give out key codes anymore.   I tried but they outsourced the service and some legal BS about promoting theft.   They need a system where you show a title and registration as the bona fide owner to get the key codes.   Then any locksmith can make an original  set.

CadillacRob

The keys I got for my 56 were wrong for the ignition.  Several calls to local locksmiths and they all weren't up for the job, or said it'd be atleast $100.  You can drill it out, and get a new lock set for a song from rock auto.

I never need to lock the car either, because if I'm out, it'll always be in sight.  If not, it's parked inside the garage.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Chuck Swanson

took the dash pad off my '66.  Used a dremel to remove the plastic behind the ignition key.  Removed the metal long 3' or so dash part with lock intact.  Brought to local locksmith an they charged $10 to remove.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Maynard Krebs

Please forgive my ignorance:  what's a "tweaker"?

Bobby B

Quote from: Maynard Krebs on October 23, 2016, 08:02:13 PM
Please forgive my ignorance:  what's a "tweaker"?

Join the Club......I have an 18 yr. old and a 23 yr. old and have no idea WTF he was talking about. My above post was supposed to be a joke. I would assume by the context of the statement that the PO was a "Hacker" or "Butcher" of some sort.  >:D
                                                                                                                                        Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH