News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

39 LaSalle engine problems continue

Started by 39lasalle, October 19, 2016, 09:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

39lasalle

Still can't get engine to rev much more past idle.    Car starts up great and purrs like a kitten at idle.  I may be able to get anothe rcouple hundred more RPM out of it but that is it. Had carb rebuilt and no difference, borrowed a buddy's 2barrel carb and same result.

I have been jump starting the car with my 12v pack, could this hurt the condenser as a few have people have recommended to change this but I have done .    Also I am using newer plug wires verse a metallic core.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Bobby B

K.
  It's most likely something very simple and obvious. Hard to diagnose without being there. If it's idling perfectly on all  cylinders, it's either a fuel or spark problem, take your pick. Are you saying that when you step on the accelerator pedal that absolutely nothing happens?
                                                                                                                                                                       Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

harry s

Check the throttle linkage to be sure it is opening all the way. I would also change the wires to solid copper core. Good Luck,     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

39lasalle

Not worried about throttle linkage as it is not hooked up!  If I had to guess it gets up to about 1500 rpm and just stutters...

Paul Phillips

Presuming this came on rather abruptly, initial thoughts are spark saturation (condenser failing) or a fuel supply problem (clogged filter, failing pump, etc). If you rule out the easy stuff like this, also check static timing.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

How does it cut out?  Does it just no longer increase rpm but still run smoothly?  Does it start to miss but still increase to a point where it will no longer increase rpm? Is it smooth and then everything cuts out at once?
When it cuts out, will it still run when you reduce throttle or when it hits max rpm does it just die all together and you have to restart it?
Any chance exhaust is plugged?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

harry s

I would change the plug wires to solid copper core next and then proceed with the simple things suggested.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

bariman

very carefully disconnect the fuel line at the carb and view the fuel flow with the engine cranking.  Fuel filter issue?  You can blow into the fuel tank (I know this sounds dumb but it works) with the engine running to see if the pressure affects the rpms.

39lasalle

Ok, i have always had this issue. it stutters when trying to rev up but when I release the throttle it will go back to normal idle.  Timing is spot on, we replaced the timing chain and gears this past spring.   Exhaust is not plugged as I cut the pipe in the spring as well to eliminate that possibility as well.

I just read the 40 Lasalle thread about the fuel pump, I have a 12 volt pump, maybe I will try that.

Thanks