News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1980 Eldo heater

Started by atime, October 20, 2016, 06:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atime

Went for drive today and discovered the heater does not blow any hot air. The heater hoses under the hood are hot all the way to the fire wall.

I have the digital readout at 80 but it only blows cold air. Any ideas??

bcroe

Perhaps your Climate Control programmer isn't functioning.  Try putting
it in defrost, which ignores a lot of inputs to force hot air.  Bruce Roe

atime

I did try that, still no hot air...

bcroe

I think some 80s has a different control based on the engine; which engine
do you have? 

Sounds like the inputs to the programmer aren't the issue, might be
the outputs such as water valve or air director. 

Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

I think all the Eldo's had the digital system for 80.       

If both hoses were hot that kinda implies that the water control valve is open and there is coolant flowing through the core which then means the blend door must not be in the proper position.    I never had to dig too deep into these so I don't know where to look next.   I think there area a couple people here that do so hopefully they will be along soon to give you some things to check. 

You did say that if you go to defrost air does move to the windshield?   And when it should be heating its coming out the floor?    That would indicate that there is vacuum to the system and part of its working.    I wonder where the blend door motor is on this?   If its lower I wonder if a vacuum hose could have got knocked off? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

atime

Thanks for the help so far.
The engine is the 368 and it does have the digital readout.
Yes it blows from the defroster vents and then when you change to heat it blows out on the floor.
Also the AC works perfect if thats a clue?
Any other ideas? I'll check under the dash to see if a hose is off.

bcroe

I can't add any more for a 368 digital system.  Bruce Roe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

It should be noted that the at the setting of 80 degrees, the system will blow cold/cool (out the dash) if the interior temperature is higher than 80 degrees.

Temperature setting within the range of 65-85 degrees are regulated, meaning that heat OR cooling can occur at any temperature setting from 65-85 depending on the interior temperature.

It is ONLY at the extreme settings of 60 and 90 will always provide high fan speed with maximum cooling or maximum heat (respectively), regardless of interior temperature.

Heat will always be directed at the floor in either the AUTO or ECONOMY mode when set at 90 deg. If the heater hoses are hot and the air flow is at the floor when set at 90 but heat is absent it is likely the problem is in the heater blend door as TJ says.  I would first check vacuum lines.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute