News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Found my car

Started by nmehlman, October 20, 2016, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmehlman

I'm new to the forum because I just bought a 1970 De Ville Convertible.  Found the car that was right for me, local, no corrosion, original owners estate, low miles and very original.  My family had a brown CDV from 1970 until 1983 that I rode in as a child and learned to drive in.  Thanks to everyone on the forum for all of the great posts, it's been a lot of help getting the DVC back on the road and the shared knowledge has saved me a lot of time and mistakes.  I'll share some of the things I've learned with replies, future posts and maybe ask a few questions too.

chrisntam

Looks great, I like the bumper guards.

Welcome to the club, looking forward to your participation!

And as far as I'm concerned, you selected the best year!   8)

Has it been repainted?  Just wondering because I don't see a dealer nameplate on the trunk.

Oh, and you passed the new member test, you posted pics!! (1).  more please!   ;)

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Beautiful.
Nicely done.
I had a 72 Mercury in hi school that had bumper guards like that. Once a year or so take them off and clean behind them
My bumper was good but got nasty behind the guards.
Enjoy
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Neal,
Congrats on getting that car. There's lots of interest in 70's on this board.
But... PA-LEES.. take those "New York City" bumper over riders off.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

G HIGGINS

Great looking car.
George
George Higgins
1939 50 series LaSalle
1934 3 window coupe
2005 Crossfire
2009 Corvette
1966 Chevelle
2016 Honda Gold Wing

76eldo

Welcome to the Board and the Club.

I also own a 70 DeVille Convertible.  It's a great car.  Lots of advice and info is available here.

Mine had the bumper guards front and back when I bought it and I couldn't wait to take them off.

Enjoy it the way YOU like it.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Rich S

Congratulations on a beautiful car! I think the bumper guards look "fine" and they are practical (I added them to my '71 Eldorado Convertible since I back it into the garage quite close to the wall and I don't want to hit the chrome bumper)--they provide a little more for observers to take-in as they're in awe of our classic Cadillacs. San Mateo Red is a great color for a '70 DeVille Convertible and yours looks great--even the tires--it's one of my top three Cadillac favorites!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Scot Minesinger

Here is my baby, 1970 DVC too in red.  Your looks like black interior, mine is red.  Have driven it almost 40k miles in eleven years since I bought in 2005.  Great driving car. 

I think the 1970 DVC are so popular because last year of 472 high compression engine, last year of RWD convertible (with a back seat), and styling.  I always say Cadillac has not manufactured a convertible with a back seat that is more powerful (same could be said about a 68 and 69, the 1971 Eldorado had 365 hp and 1970 DVC was 375 hp).  This is quite a claim for 46 year old Cadillac!  I guess same could be said about many 1970 GM products, such as Buick GS, Olds 442, Pontiac GTO, Chevelle and others.

Any advise you need, climate control, suspension, sourcing any part, dash or etc., we have probably done already here.  Ask, as no sense re-inventing the wheel.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

Quote from: nmehlman
I'm new to the forum because I just bought a 1970 De Ville Convertible.  Found the car that was right for me, local, no corrosion, original owners estate, low miles and very original.  My family had a brown CDV from 1970 until 1983 that I rode in as a child and learned to drive in.  Thanks to everyone on the forum for all of the great posts, it's been a lot of help getting the DVC back on the road and the shared knowledge has saved me a lot of time and mistakes. 

First year with really good brakes.  Just be sure it has a replacement
timing chain.  Bruce Roe

jwjohnson86

Welcome!  This is my second year of ownership of my 1970 convertible and the amount of help and advice I have received from fellow members has far outstripped the price of membership.  Plus, just a great group of people all around.  Love to see more pictures also. 
1970 DeVille Convertible 472 cid

http://bit.ly/1NhHpdt

Scot Minesinger

Bruce is so right, replace the chain if it has not been already, and when oil pan is off the rear main seal too.  I bought a 1970 SDV with 35k original miles on it and completed an extensive list of mechanical work in a short period of time that any low mileage 46 year old car would require.  I need to type that up and post.  This was a way better way to go rather than waiting and learning on my first classic.

nmehlman

I'll likely replace the timing chain over the winter, thanks for the tip.  So far I've added tires from Diamond Back which are a super close replica.  The car still has the original spare in the trunk so I'll post some pictures of the new tires and the spare to one of the tire posts that I found helpful.  I replaced the brakes from the master cylinder back for safety and due to age, also the radiator, upper and lower hoses and a few heater hoses too.  The starter was on it's last legs so that was replaced and found the two freeze plugs behind it were leaking so they were changed too.  The car had been in the garage for about 20 years and had an accumulation of stuff on it and under it.  The tires during that time deflated and the car came to rest on the stuff that got pushed under it.  It put a dent in the fuel tank and the fuel gage is no longer working.  I ran out of fuel once already with my wife but that's a different funny story and have been using the odometer now.  The exhaust was changed because there was some obstruction in it.  I'm guessing the car backfired at some point and collapsed the inner wall of the exhaust pipe.  It's running great now overall. 

Here's my question, does any one have a suggestion on a source for the best replacement fuel tank?

P.S.  With regards to the bumper guards, I don't really like them myself.  The car also has the hood trim and ornament that was what I believe to be a dealer option.  There's also a few chrome parts on the engine.  Personally I like cars to be fully stock, the way the rolled out of the factory.  Since this car is so super original, I'm going to leave it just the way the original owner, Milton, set it up in the '70s.  I might change my mind later but for now, I'm not changing anything cosmetically.

bcroe

It sounds like you are doing well catching up on maintenance.  You
might take that tank to RENU for an overhaul.  The sending unit may
need some work too; get a new one if you can.  Bruce Roe

Scot Minesinger

No source of replacement tanks that are the full 26 gallons and correct that I know of.  There is a tank made in China that was intended for the 59/60 and probably fits your car, but it is probably no good.  If your tank is dented and that alone bugs you, get a good used one, clean it up real good, seal it, finish it, and install it.  The senders generally go bad.  Reproductions are available and they are OK.  Test the replacement sender (you can disconnect wiring to tank at trunk and move sender by hand) before install, sometimes they are no good, and you don't want to find out after it is installed.  I have dropped three 1970 fuel tanks to complete this exact process.

bcroe

A sender in a replacement tank can be checked by connecting a ground to
the unit and turning the tank upside down.  Bruce Roe

Scot Minesinger

Bruce, true but it is real easy to just unplug body wire at trunk, connect to grounded sender and move fuel float by hand and watch your gas gauge go up and down.  The sender in tank you turn upside down would still have to be connected with wires.