News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Cadillac Eldorado Bicentennial with 1000 miles

Started by south280, October 23, 2016, 09:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

south280

Hi all,  I am a brand new member to CLC and am interested in purchasing a Bicentennial Eldorado with approx 1000 original miles.  Car has been kept in a conditioned space all these years.  Im afraid that the low miles could be detrimental for the engine etc  any advice?  Thanks in advance for your help.
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Bicentennial Edition
1930 Model A Ford Station Wagon
1968 Mercedes 280 sl

TJ Hopland

Its been in one place the whole time?   

Any idea when or how the 1000 miles were put on it?   

Is it supposedly in driving condition now?

What are your plans for it?    Drive?   Show and drive?    Just show? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

south280

It has had two owners and both kept the car in condition space like a time capsule. The car is in great running condition.  I am going to have a classic car mechanic do an inspection prior to purchase.   I plan on driving and show and enjoying the car.    I am also compiling a list of things to look for during the inspection process...any input would be greatly apprciated
1968 Mercedes 280 sl

TJ Hopland

I think the bicentennials were EFI so there are some special concerns there, mainly the O rings in the injectors.  Old age they leak and can end up squirting high pressure fuel all over the engine which as you can imagine isn't a good thing.    They also had an issue with the dual electric fuel pumps overloading the fuel pump power circuit in the ECU.   There is a mod where an external relay is added so it does not stress and possibly damage the ECU. 

Nothing else I can think of that is really special about the Eldo's.  Every piece of 'rubber' on the car would be in question.   This would be hoses (including brake), tires, seals and gaskets including internal transmission ones, cv boots, body fillers, weatherstripping,  ect....

Tire valve stems are unique on these cars and mostly metal but do have a rubber gasket that ages.  They are available but not the sort of thing a typical tire shop will have on hand so get those before you go in for tires.   

Wheel weights are unique,  they are called CAX and have an extension on them to clear the hubcap.  Pretty rare to find a shop that has those and with the change to no lead and the fact that they were only used on some cars in the 70's they are not easy to find.   Stick on weights should work but some have reported better results using the correct ones.    Just using standard clip on weights on the inside usually does not work well.

Top latches must stay in the open position when you put the top down or they will get damaged.   Also make sure there is nothing in the upper deck in the trunk,  the rear window needs to be able to settle down so the rest of the top can stack on top of it.  If there is something in the way result is usually broken window.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

It's typical that the heater core and radiator corrode from sitting with the old coolant in them.

May need replacement once you start driving the car.

Also the bumper fillers will probably crumble and fall apart.  Don't get too freaked out by this, replacements are available.  They are a real pain to install but we can help you with that once you get the car.

Good luck.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

acedriale

Our Bicentennial has about 5.5K miles on it - we have made sure to drive it a hundred miles or so annually the past few years.  Mechanically it's held up very well and has been the most reliable of the old caddies. Did have to get new tires, and the bumper fillers are showing some age even with climate controlled, low light storage.

Might I inquire how much you are looking to pay for the 1K mile version?  We are looking to list ours in the coming months and am curious what the market looks like...

Good luck - these are beautiful cars and a joy to drive! 

A. Edrington  Norfolk, VA
A. Edrington

'55 Eldorado

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: south280 on October 23, 2016, 09:11:10 AM
Hi all,  I am a brand new member to CLC and am interested in purchasing a Bicentennial Eldorado with approx 1000 original miles.  Car has been kept in a conditioned space all these years.  Im afraid that the low miles could be detrimental for the engine etc  any advice?  Thanks in advance for your help.

If planning on doing any kind of motoring, frankly I'd much prefer an excellent low mileage example that sees regular use (weather permitting and so forth) with regular service and upkeep.

The perils of awakening a "sleeping giant" like this are well known as these are large and complex machines with a raft of power accessories that even under the most agreeable of storage conditions that without question, can easily become problematic from disuse. Everything from the climate control system to power windows, sets, locks, etc etc and none of this begins to touch upon the cooling system related items. The engine/trans will probably be fine; it's all the nickels and dimes that add up to all the grief and aggravation.

If the car is equipped fuel injection option, I would immediately recommend cease and desist without hesitation. This is unlikely however but I thought I'd mention it all the same.

Seals are also a concern - oil, trans, and otherwise plus the 1976 Eldorado is standard with 4 wheel disc brakes with the world-famous rear calipers for freezing up because nobody ever exercises the parking brake which is necessary to keep them in adjustment. It's almost guaranteed a 1,000 mile car will need rear calipers right off the bat and they ain't cheap. Might be able to be rebuilt - not sure how much that runs these days, assuming possible.

In short, a beautifully kept, maintained and loved 1975/1976 Eldorado Convertible with say 20,000 on the clock that is driven sparingly but regularly will provide every bit as much motoring enjoyment as a 1,000 mile car. Such examples are not at all difficult to find, will give you less headache and heartache, while being far lighter on the checkbook, not only in upfront cost but also repairs - both immediate & future. Of course, none of this takes into account of the hit you'll take when you start logging miles on the clock of a 1,000 mile car. 

Leave the 1,000 mile cars for museums. You'll be glad you did.

Welcome to the Cadillac & La Salle Club and the CLC Forum. Glad to have you aboard.

Eric

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

joecaristo

All 200 Bicentennial Eldorado's did not have the fuel injection option.
Joe Caristo

bcroe

I drive my cars.  That one would get new tires, replacement of ANYTHING
touching brake fluid, all the rubber seals in the trans replaced, a new timing
chain set, HEI disassemble and lubed, new radiator and heater core, about
all hoses under the hood and in the fuel system replaced.  Grease the wheel
bearings or they will soon fail.  The A/C compressor clutch and alternator will
need new sealed ball bearings.  I have done ALL of this to my 79 Eldo, some
things more than once.  Bruce Roe

Scot Minesinger

Yes agree with all the other posts and will add:

My friend just bought a 20k 1975 Eldorado and it had just enjoyed 6k worth of work to make it saleable. 

I bought a 35k original mile 1970 Cadillac Sedan and purchased all the rubber parts (including all suspension bushing front and rear) plus timing chain and etc.  Got everything working perfect as new.  Cost of all parts was about 4.5k (weather stripping $700, tires $1,200 and etc.), plus my labor.  Low mileage cars have requirements.  I could have not done these things, but I hate preventable failures and want to enjoy the drive.  Car drives as new.

In general any car being sold, especially a classic, likely needs something. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

76eldo

It all depends on the conditions it was stored in.
Lots of stuff needs to be checked. If it's injected the seals have to be replaced.
Everything else just might be fine.

Let's not scare the guy too much.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bcroe

There you have the opinions, from those that expect to drive a car
that performs and is as reliable as new, and those who drive it till it
breaks down (hopefully not in a dangerous way).  I have no problem
presenting the truth, but I wouldn't spend $1200 on a set of tires. 
Bruce Roe

south280

1968 Mercedes 280 sl

Art Director

At the 2007 Grand National, we had a 1976 Bicentennial Eldo that rolled over from 49.9 to 50 miles when it approached The Self-Starter Photo Station. As I recall, it ran quite well.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

chrisntam

As with many things in life, there are varying opinions. generally, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I'm with Bruce, if your going to drive it, go through all items to make the car dependable.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Bruce,

Yes, that $1,200 tire expenses was for 5 (want a nice spare), the Diamondbacks with the dual stipe radial tires designed to look original to 1970.  You can buy tires for less for sure.  The other stuff was not out of line though.

Carl Fielding

Suppose the car was well stored , and accumulated its 1000 miles by driving it 12 miles twice a year. If all systems were exercised each drive , the car might not need much at all. When your mechanic looks at the suggestions here , he will probably find that the car will be virtually a new 1976 Cadillac convertible after a few reasonable things are done. If you love the car , buy it. If you don't get it , you probably will wish you did. You only live once. Make sure to keep letting us know how you are getting on.  - CC

Scot Minesinger

There is nothing like driving a large drop top Cadillac. 

My best moment came when I picked up my 15 year old daughter from her very large high school the day after I turned 50, in the fall on a beautiful 72'F sunny day in my red 1970 Cadillac convertible (top down of course).  There were probably 200 high school kids outside hanging around at 4pm.  When I pulled into the parking lot (several hundred yards from pick up point), they were all cheering and clapping.  My daughter was terribly embarrassed, but of course I was very happy and enjoyed it.  She left her friends and sheepishly got into the car.  After we pulled out of the parking lot her 15 year old friends texted here "Your Dad is so young and cool". 

That is what a Caddy drop top does for you.  Best present of them all for my 50th birthday!

Sure there are going to be problems, but it will probably be worth it.

bcroe

Shortly after I purchased my  (18 year old, 23K miles) 79 Eldo, I was cruising
along 5 states from home and saw smoke coming out from under the hood. 
The A/C compressor clutch has a clutch idler ball bearing, factory sealed.  The
grease had dried out, and it had gotten so hot, it melted the clutch wiring
and also blown my alternator start fuse.  I cut the (brand new) belt and got
the car home for repairs.  My other cars have had the same failure. 

The moral of the story is, bearings with dried out grease WILL FAIL.  The seals
engaging the clutches of your automatic trans will also fail WITH AGE, causing
severe (but avoidable) damage.  The O rings on 70s injectors have to contain
40 psi, but any originals today are just a fire waiting to happen.  Old tires have
killed people, as have failing brakes. 

As Scot said, the suspension rubber may also fail as mine did before long. 
This wasn't on my critical list, since it won't disable the car.  Here is where
the home mechanic can save a fortune.  The pro wants to just destroy and
remove every part in sight, leaving a relatively easy bolt together of new
(but often INFERIOR) parts job.  I replace JUST the bearings, seals, or
whatever part is bad, keeping the remaining best quality factory parts in
place.  Those parts will now have anti seize on mating surfaces, making
future work a lot easier. 

I am a pretty slow mechanic.  But doing things at home, at my convenience,
still compares quite favorably with making appointments, arranging drop
off and pickup, not to mention any call backs.  Bruce Roe

Scot Minesinger

I could not agree with Bruce's last post more, especially the concluding paragraph.