News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Carter WFCB Help

Started by CadillacRob, October 26, 2016, 12:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacRob

Guys I can't seem to get my carb tuned properly.  It has been rebuilt by myself with the aid of my father in law.

The jets squirt fuel great, you can see it when you pump the throttle.  Fuel pump and fuel pump push rod are new, and in good working order.

I pump a few blips of gas in, turn the key and it fires right up, only to die about 3 seconds later.

I am missing the choke connecting rod, and the hot exhaust tube that connects to the choke.  Manually holding the choke twisted to the right and having my wife turn the key gives the same results.

Id like to play with the mixture screws and the idle screw, but I'd like to start at factory correct settings (for example, tighten them up and back out 1.5 turns.). Not sure what they are supposed to be. 

Any help would be great.  Thanks
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

I should add, my father in law was able to keep it halfway running by giving it gas and holding his hand over the carb some to richen it up.

Those first few seconds it runs sounds good and then it just putters out.  So I believe the issue is lack of fuel somehow.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

55 cadi

Hello Rob,

Factory setting or starting point for the adjusting screws is 1-1 1/2 turns.

Before I had my carb rebuilt the car would idle/rev up when I put my hand over the carb intake,  this meant I had an air leak somewhere and it would suck in air from somewhere else, after it was rebuilt when I put my hand over the carb intake it would stall out, so you may have an air leak somewhere on the carb that is letting too much air in.
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

CadillacRob

1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville