News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

31 imperial vers limo

Started by yachtflame, October 27, 2016, 10:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yachtflame

Just wondered if anyone knows the difference between an imp 7 pass sedan and a 7 pass limo?
Wayne
CLC 17075
Wayne Elsworth
CLC #17075

harry s

Wayne, My understanding is that Imperial refers to the divider glass and that a seven passenger without the divider is a 7 pass sedan.   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

yachtflame

Harry, thanks for the reply. I realize the difference between an Imperial sedan and a regular 7 passenger sedan. What I'm trying to find out is the difference between an Imperial sedan and a limo.
Wayne Elsworth
CLC #17075

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Wayne, I hesitate to "correct" a gentleman of your repute, but I think the word "Limo" is more generic, referring to a long wheelbase (generally chauffer driven) auto and "Imperial" is Cadillac's designation for their chauffer driven (usually black leather seats in front) with a formal division. GM designation as in 1941 Series 7533

At one time I owned a 1941 6719F Five passenger with "X" curved glass division and a 1941 6733I (Imperial) with formal division, seven passenger.

The 6719F can be seen in LeRoi Smith's book on Cadillac (Burgundy paint) with 1941 IN plate on the front.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Chris Cummings

Wayne,

In Cadillac usage, the "imperial sedan" designation evolved into "limousine."  During the '60s and '70s, the Series 75 was sold as a "sedan" (without divided window) and as a "limousine" (with the divider window).  So with Cadillac a limousine is the same thing as an imperial sedan.

Best regards,

Chris Cummings

yachtflame

Great. Thanks for the clarification guys. I'm sitting in Albany with some free time but don't have my books to look things up. I thought I remembered seeing a body style for a 7 pass sedan the same as an imperial but with a S after the number and a different number for a Limo with the word limo in the description column. Maybe not. I've recently had a bash to the head so maybe I'm thinking double! 😳
Thank you all for helping me out snd being polite about it. That's one of the reasons I like this board so much! Now I can search properly!
Wayne
Wayne Elsworth
CLC #17075