News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Power steering on a !950 Cadillac?

Started by larry pitts, October 27, 2016, 03:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry pitts

Can power steering be installed on a 1950 Cadillac? L Pitts 16635

jdemerson

Quote from: larry pitts on October 27, 2016, 03:44:25 PM
Can power steering be installed on a 1950 Cadillac? L Pitts 16635

Power steering was first offered as an option on 1952 models. During that year Cadillac announced a package for retroftting it to 1950 and 1951 models. So the answer to your question is "yes", at least in principle. Perhaps someone here who has done the modifcation to a '50 or '51 will respond.

John
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: jdemerson on October 27, 2016, 09:14:33 PM
Power steering was first offered as an option on 1952 models. During that year Cadillac announced a package for retroftting it to 1950 and 1951 models.
Cadillac Serviceman, March 1952 issue, page 24, "Field intallation not recommended for power steering" :
[...] it was decided that the conversion operation in the field was not feasible. The factory has, therefore, established a policy that the 1952 power steering mechanism will not be available for installation on 1952 cars originally equipped with manual steering or for any previous model.
The retrofitting package may have been available later, though I can't find it in Serviceman Bulletins or Master Parts Lists.

The answer to the initial question is (of course) yes. By using aftermarket parts and adaptation work, power steering can be fitted to almost any car.
1952 60 Special in France.

Bob Schuman

Larry,
Despite what the 1952 Cadillac Serviceman Bulletin said, the 1952-53 power steering could be retrofitted to a 1950 or 51 Cadillac. I have a 51 that was retrofitted when the car was fairly new, and it works fine. I believe the Cadillac bulletin was really intended to discourage retrofitting so that they could sell more new cars with factory power steering.
Going back farther, Cadillac issued dealer bulletins shortly after WW2 discussing why WW2 surplus military Cadillac V-8 engines were not suitable to replace worn out car engines. There are many CLC members who own and have driven their Cadillacs many satisfactory miles with a military surplus engine. Of course, Cadillac really wanted the dealers to order new engines from the factory to repair cars, not to buy and use the much lower priced military surplus units. The military units did require reusing most external components on the new military block, a job any competent mechanic could easily do.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Caddy Wizard

As an alternative to adding power steering (a big job), perhaps you should look at tires. I have had very nice results with running a set of skinny tread radials that look like bias ply tires.  Inflated to the mid-30s (say, 36psi), they are very easy to steer.  Sort of like having half-power steering.  Here is what they look like.  I got these "700R15" tires from Diamondback, but I think Coker sells a similar product.

These really make a huge difference and look very, very correct.  Not perfect correct if you want actual bias ply tires, but very nice looks and wonderful performance.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Bob Schuman

I'm with Art on this one. My 49 came to me with the correct 8.20-15 bias ply Firestone branded tires, and was VERY hard to steer. Replaced with the same Diamondback brand radials as Art did, the improvement in ease of steering and handling was dramatic.
Bob Schuman

Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

dochawk

Quote from: Bob Schuman on October 28, 2016, 10:43:10 AM
Going back farther, Cadillac issued dealer bulletins shortly after WW2 discussing why WW2 surplus military Cadillac V-8 engines were not suitable to replace worn out car engines.

Amusingly, they noted that one such conversion used a tank transmission without a reverse gear, which wasn't discovered until after installation . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

fishnjim

There's electric assist power steering kits that can be used but not sure if it'll be easy on your model.   Have to check with the manufacturers.   It won't be factory but may solve your issues.