News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Strange as it seems...

Started by Marcel75, October 29, 2016, 10:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcel75

Hi all,

Preparing my 1970 Eldorado for winter, I noticed something unsual in the engine compartment. Please, have a look on this picture and tell me whether you too pick up same particularity or not. Maybe a toughy...

cadillacmike68

Wrong color blue?

I'm not into guessing games.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Marcel75

Well, the blue color is not the original one but the point is elsewhere and concerns the oil filler cap.

Steve Passmore

Got a cable attached to it to stop it getting lost??
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Marcel,
If you are looking for "flaws" of non-originality, add the transmission and oil dipstick, the spark plug wires, and the Aluminum/plastic radiator.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Marcel75

Quote from: Steve Passmore on October 29, 2016, 12:26:07 PM
Got a cable attached to it to stop it getting lost??

Yes, it is fitted for that purpose. But, point is not there...

Marcel75

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on October 29, 2016, 12:30:26 PM
Marcel,
If you are looking for "flaws" of non-originality, add the transmission and oil dipstick, the spark plug wires, and the Aluminum/plastic radiator.
Greg Surfas

Sure, you're right Greg but, as a french, I am more strict with my Citroen(s) than with my Cadillac.

The point I only really noticed today is that the oil filler cap is located on the left arm rocker cover instead of the right one, as in a mirror effect. Probably located there after new blue paintwork by previous owner. All pictures I've seen so far show right location, none show left as mine.

Marcel. 
Paris

Scot Minesinger

1970 Cadillac Eldorado is a nice driving car for sure.

What are those wires coming out of rocker cover on driver side? 

It may be that the rockers were switched, because the PCV valve and breather may have same hole.  Might be as simple as removing and switching.  Take pcv valve off and see if breather fits in, and if holes similar location, switch them back.

Probably more effective better communication to just state your question rather than have us guess it.  The text on your air cleaner housing top should not be there.

Looks like a nice car, where an owner changed a few things but kept the engine bay tidy and clean.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Marcel75

Hi Scot,

As a matter of fact, both covers are identical except for the presence of the oil filler cap. On my car, it is located left and backward instead of right and forward (mirror effect). So can be mounted both sides without any problem.

Regarding the 2 wires, I believe you refer to those coming out the air cleaner housing ?

If yes, one is going to the compressor for rear suspension regulation (Fleetwood equipment in 1970) and the second one to a canister linked with fuel tank (mandatory for californian origin cars in 1970).

Some pics:

Marcel

Roger Zimmermann

Marcel, I have two comments: I'm not sure if this color combinaison came that way from the factory: red trim with green paint; what are the trim and paint code on the body plate?
The second one is about the exhaust outlet: it should be more discret: by looking at factory pictures, the exhaust pipe cannot be seen.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Steve Passmore

Quote from: Marcel75 on October 30, 2016, 03:32:16 AM
Hi Scot,

Regarding the 2 wires, I believe you refer to those coming out the air cleaner housing

Marcel

I believe he's referring to the wire I spoke of holding the filler cap.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Marcel75

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on October 30, 2016, 03:47:48 AM
Marcel, I have two comments: I'm not sure if this color combinaison came that way from the factory: red trim with green paint; what are the trim and paint code on the body plate?
The second one is about the exhaust outlet: it should be more discret: by looking at factory pictures, the exhaust pipe cannot be seen.

Hi Roger,

You are not the first one with this question as to colors combination but... It is exactly like that the car came out of factory in october 1969. The body plate shows a 96-96 for body paint (Nottingham green firemist, no vinyl roof) and  488 (Red) for leather. Official combination with 1970 Nottingham green was with either black or white but the first owner made this special request.

Roger Zimmermann

It was a time when the customer could choose the trim/outside color combinaison, even if it was not recommended by the factory.
Thanks for your answer!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Scot Minesinger

Marcel,

Yes familiar with top of air leaner housing vacuum lines.  It looks like you have wires on valve covers and maybe I'm seeing the picture wrong.  You probably then have two passenger side valve covers and need to get a driver side, that does not have the oil fill to be authentic.  However given the other modifications this seems like a minor priority as the engine bay is quite presentable.

Agree exhaust needs to be adjusted, it should not protrude from rear bumper so much making it almost a focal point for us engineers.  Green and red very unusual color combo, really the popular around Christmas probably.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Marcel75

Thanks for your post Scot, as mentionned above these 2 wires prevent oil filler cap from escaping when open, a previous owner initiative.
Well, regarding the exaust, it is just a chromed extra part tightened by 2 screws, and 2' to remove.
I got already this suggestion as to christmas Period colors. Why not ?

Marcel