News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Doesn't Kickdown, Dies

Started by Cadillac Nut, October 30, 2016, 09:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Nut

I have what may be a two part problem on my 59.  The transmission doesn't kick down, I have tried adjusting the TV rod.  Here's what happens: when I start driving the car I have to depress the pedal more than I should have to get it to go the speed it's going (maybe 5 MPH), then the idles changes, car dies or if I hit the gas at the right moment, it shifts and accelerates normal.  To get the car to idle correctly I had to connect the gas pedal return spring to the throttle bracket (bolts to the firewall).  Otherwise the idle is far to high.    That's backwards, it's supposed to go to the oil canister.    Should I take my throttle bracket off and lubricate it?   Thanks for any input.  This car sat for decades before I got it running. 

Bobby B

Garrett,
Hi. You have multiple problems going on there, so which one do you want to address first? I would say to get the car idling properly first before you go any further. Start with the basics and then move forward. Trying to asses a transmission problem when the car won't idle properly is senseless.
                          Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Cadillac Nut

Yes, of course it would make sense to address the idle issue.  But I am not sure where to start.  The carburetor is professionally rebuild, the car idles fine with the spring in the wrong (opposite) position.  Would indicate an issue with the throttle bracket on the firewall I would think?

Garrett

wbdeford

It might help people understand what's going on if you made a short video of the throttle in operation and post a link here.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville