News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carb gasket, which one is used?

Started by 55 cadi, October 31, 2016, 11:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 cadi

Hello,

When I bought my rebuild kit for my carb it had these two different gaskets, that go between carb and manifold.

Which one should be used?

Difference is one blocks a port and the other makes it open for the port in the carb, what's difference do the two make ?

I'm pointing at the opening in question

Right now I believe one like the one on the left is in there now, just want to know the difference and see if other is better for set up.

Thanks
Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Steve Passmore

Its not what's a better set up, its just that these kits now contain the gaskets for several different models of carb so they supply them all and you use the ones appropriate to your carb. Replace the one like you have in there already.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

craig-o

Rather than just put back what was in there, I suggest that you look at the bottom of the throttle body and the top of the intake manifold to see which gasket matches.

I recently re-built my Rochester 4GC carburetor, and it came with the wrong throttle body/intake manifold gasket (like the one on the left in your photo.)  What I needed was like the one on the right, as you can see from the base of the throttle body.  I ended up ordering a complete kit for a Carter carb of the same year to get the correct gasket.

Craig Rodenberger
San Jose, CA
1955 Coupé deVille
1955 Jaguar XK140 OTS

fishnjim

AS I understand it:  (from my '58)
That era has an exhaust port in the manifold to prevent "carb icing"* and that opening allows the hot gas to warm the carb.   If you block it off, no harm, no foul but may not operate well in cold climates.   
If you change carbs to a modern one, you don't use it.   The blind one is used or if you put the old carb on a newer manifold w/o.   Some have a thick insulator to prevent vapor lock which could be a problem if you are in hot climate and use the icing port.
* - idle is done with vacuum aspiration - there's a center air screw between the two jet screws and no throttle plate idle screw.

55 cadi

Thanks all,

Steve,
I don't trust what was there as the previous owner had a lot of wrong stuff on or added to car.

Jim and Craig,
Thanks, I was mistaken, I have the gasket on the right on it because when I had the one on the left I found excess gass on the gasket.

So I am using which seems to be the correct one.

Although one question arises which is fishnjim mention about using that gasket in hot climates might not be good? Am I reading this correct?

Because here in Texas is hot, but now about to get into cold.

Thanks
Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

35-709

Use the correct gasket for your car, period.  Cadillac engineers figured it out many years ago for your car.  Just make very sure your heat riser valve moves freely and is operating properly.  The heat riser valve and the passage under the carb are designed to route hot exhaust under the carb to help warm it when the engine is cold for improved cold engine operation.  With a properly operating heat riser valve the exhaust gases are soon routed out the exhaust and not under the carb as the engine warms up.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2