News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

carb replacement 1953 cadi sedan

Started by gdtogo, November 02, 2016, 12:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdtogo

looks like I need to replace the carb, been rebuilt but car still does not idle

people who have replaced carbs what have you used recommend  might as well buy new and save original

thanks

Steve

Bobby B

Steve,
Have it rebuilt by a pro and you'll have no issues. I have someone for you if interested. You won't have any more problems, but are you sure it's "Just" the carb? Fuel pressure? Timing? Worn Ignition parts? Etc.?
  Nothing better than the correct carb unless you're building a Hot Rod.
                                                                                   Bobby                                                                                                                                                                 
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

55 cadi

I agree with Bobby.

There are a few things that can cause that not just the carb.

Check fuel pump, make sure it's working good.
Timing.
Points.
Check your tank, see if it's good, meaning has good gas not dirty gas, put a filter before the fuel pump and see what it looks like.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Jay Friedman

check that there is not a vacuum leak.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

55 cadi

Jay is correct also,

Forgot to mention. That will affect it also.

Cap the two hoses going to vacuum manifold until you have replaces the air hoses, or checked that they are good but should probably replace all anyway if they are not new.
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Jay Friedman

I would also check the hoses in the windshield wiper system and the antenna system, as well as the intake manifold gaskets and the gasket between the carb and the manifold.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."