News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

upper suspension arms.

Started by jmodel25, November 02, 2016, 02:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmodel25

as part of my front end rebuild,firstly concerning the upper control arm bushes.I managed to make a tool to spread the control arm,but on installing the second bush in the control arm I noticed that the thread looked a bit worn.I obtained a torque wrench and set about to tighten the bush to the correct setting ,which according to the service manual is 140 ft/lbs.I started 50 ft/lbs and the thread in the control arm stripped.on closer inspection of all the control arms they all look worn.Any help on repairing these threads or alternative arms setup would be appreciated.

bcroe

What year and model is it?  Bruce Roe

wbdeford

Quote from: jmodel25 on November 02, 2016, 02:00:42 PM
as part of my front end rebuild,firstly concerning the upper control arm bushes.I managed to make a tool to spread the control arm,but on installing the second bush in the control arm I noticed that the thread looked a bit worn.I obtained a torque wrench and set about to tighten the bush to the correct setting ,which according to the service manual is 140 ft/lbs.I started 50 ft/lbs and the thread in the control arm stripped.on closer inspection of all the control arms they all look worn.Any help on repairing these threads or alternative arms setup would be appreciated.

Can you post info/pics of the tool you made?  Eventually, I will have to do this on my '58.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

jmodel25

my car is a1957 Fleetwood 60 special

bullet bob

Are you sure that's Ft/lbs? That sounds awfully high.
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

Roger Zimmermann

Yes, the torque to be applied to those fittings is very high.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

jmodel25

I too think that the torque is rather high.When you look at the thread form on the outside of the bushes it is rounded and does not look like it could sustain this torque with out stripping the thread in the arms.the torque settings are 140 to 150 ft/lbs for the top control arms and 190 to 200 ft/lbs for the bottom control arm bushes.These settings are by the service manual.This part of my restoration has hit a standstill,till I can sort out what to do with these control arms.The problem here is that I do not know the history of the car.