News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'59 Eldo at Mecum Dallas

Started by chrisntam, November 05, 2016, 03:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Went by the auction this am just to view the cars, the '59 had yet to cross the block, prolly will later this afternoon/evening.

Bucket seats, cruise control, a/c.  I thought it was nicely optioned.

Here are some pics.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

20 lots away as of now.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll be watching with interest.

Link to the live stream:

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/dallas-2016/live/

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

chrisntam

Thanks for posting the link, I'm watching as well.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

The GLARE of the white dash probably hurt the bidding. LOL!!!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

wrefakis

no money no 180 if you are watching when they have real $ they fight like hell to sell when they stay at bid increments of 10k no one is one the car
fake body tag
90 $ on 57 ebz that the real $

Bobby B

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Scot Minesinger

Let the buyer be ware, have heard of people "making an Eldorado" out of Series 62 convertible before unfortunately.

Everyone in the car business knows that a white dash is never provided, at least have never seen one, and for visibility considerations as pointed out - very unsafe.  How could anyone commit such a serious mistake on such an expensive car represented to be original or resembling original?  You see the white dash and other things, so you know it is probably infected with other latent negative issues.  Surprised the bidding got to 180k, probably fake bids as that may allowable in the auction business to prevent someone from buying a car too low.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

wrefakis

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on November 06, 2016, 10:54:16 AM
  How could anyone commit such a serious mistake on such an expensive car represented to be original or resembling original?

It was no mistake.  ::)  All representations, statements and so forth are just hearsay gobbledygook provided by the buyer.

As always - Caveat Emptor!

Bill - are you saying the tag is a re-pop or a genuine tag that came from another car?

wrefakis

re pop
this is from same busted restoration shop as mecum fake 543 ebz

chrisntam

Coming from a pure amateur, how do you know this one is not real?

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bobby B

Quote from: wrefakis on November 06, 2016, 12:22:52 PM
this is from same busted restoration shop as mecum fake 543 ebz

I can't believe people have the balls to put something like this out there. Busted by The Forum Police Again! You guys are pretty sharp  ;)
                                                                                                                               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

wrefakis

look at the claims , the only argyle blue known, 99 bucket seats,all bs
no fender to firewall struts, no bucket seat dome light switch ,
this was a bare frame and pile of parts built as a driver,
nothing about it is correct, they ran a totally fake white car 543 thru same auction a few times over last few years came from same shop, funny thing is a clc member owns the real 543

savemy67

Hello all,

I am glad the Forum Police are on the ball!  At what point does Mecum stop being a disinterested party (if ever) and start being a participant in a fraud?  If, as wrefakis posted, the real body tag is on another car, I suggest this goes beyond caveat emptor.  In most, if not all jurisdictions, altering a VIN is a crime.  While strictly speaking, the definition of VIN may post-date 1959, the concept is what should apply.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

wrefakis

for the record this car may well be a built up re body with the original frame
the fake 543 car is 100% fraud as i know the owners of the real car 543 going back close to 40 years

76eldo

The body tag technically has nothing to do with the ownership of the car. The VIN on the front frame needs to match the title and that can easily be restamped.  if it's a fake body tag then the whole car is bogus and a pile of parts.

Bill Refakis is the most knowledgable 59 Biarritz enthusiast and owner around and also a licensed car dealer so that takes him out of the "amateur" category.

Big name auctions are not exempt from participating knowingly or not in fraudulent transactions.

I assisted a buyer on a $170,000 59 Biarritz at the RM auction in 2015 and it was like pulling teeth to get the engine number from them in the car. They said they sold the car the last two times it changed hands and no one besides me asked for proof that it was the original engine.

Like anything else you need to know what you are getting into when buying a car like this.  The white dash would have sent me running.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

This should be turned over to the police.  Unfortunately, they probably have bigger crimes (that do more harm to society) to chase than a person who sold a fake 200k classic hobby car.  A fool and his money are soon parted.  No one in the CLC on this forum will buy that car unless it is reduced 75%-85%, so there is a huge benefit to being in the club.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

chrisntam

Quote from: 76eldo on November 06, 2016, 09:16:23 PM
snip.....

Bill Refakis is the most knowledgable 59 Biarritz enthusiast and owner around and also a licensed car dealer so that takes him out of the "amateur" category.

....snip

Brian

I was referring to myself as the amateur.  No disrespect intended.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas