News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1965 cadillac starting ?

Started by ozzies 65, November 05, 2016, 09:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzies 65

The car sat 13 years I spent a lot of time getting it ready to fire. I fired it today and it sputtered and maybe ran 2 seconds but pretty rough and mini fireball out the carb.. Is it possible to install the rotor backwards?-  Or does it only screw  on one way?. I'd go try it but I won't get back to the car until monday.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Could be a few things, like the Hydraulic Lifters internals haven't settled in to their correct positions.

The Rotor cannot be installed incorrectly, unless the distributor has been removed.   There is a small square and a round dowels under the rotor to locate it correctly.

You could also have some spark plug wires crossed over?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

ozzies 65

Well cool that's one thing to mark off the list. And yeah I've been thinking about the wires too.
To be honest I teach Auto shop.and the kids did the wires and plugs. Although I did check it a few times I might just double check em.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Did you try starting the engine by dropping small amounts of petrol into the carby?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

savemy67

Hello ozzies65,

As Bruce said, your problem could be a number of things, but most likely only one or both of two things are the culprit.  Since the car cranked and back-fired, I'll assume the engine turns freely.  Since the backfire was out the carburetor, this strongly indicates that an intake valve was open when a cylinder fired.  What would cause an intake valve to remain open, or what would cause a cylinder to fire at the wrong time?  There is something amiss (pun intended) with either your valve train or your ignition/timing.

Have you done a cylinder leak-down test on each cylinder?  Have you removed the valve covers to check that each valve moves?  What did the oil look like when you first got the car?  Do you have a Cadillac shop manual for your '65?

The rotor, as Bruce said, only installs one way.  Was the distributor removed?  If so, it may have been replaced incorrectly resulting in a timing error.  If the distributor was not removed, and you can verify that static timing is correct, then you may have a valve train issue.  This could be something as simple as a sticky lifter, or as unfortunate as a deformed camshaft lobe.  Since you teach auto shop, you probably have access to all kinds of tools, and I think it would be a great project for the kids (high school?) to make and use a leak-down tester to help diagnose your problem.  I recently came across a post on a Chevelle forum wherein the poster had no idea that there were passages in the engine block that feed oil to the lifters, etc.  The poster said he has rebuilt engines, and has spent lots of money on speed parts.  He thought the lifters and valve train were lubricated by the splashing of the crankshaft counterweights!

I don't want to sound pedantic, but I feel that fundamentals should be learned first.  The old saying that practice makes perfect is incorrect.  Perfect practice makes perfect.  Good luck with your '65.  I have fond memories of the one I owned many years ago.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

35-709

Quote from: ozzies 65 on November 05, 2016, 11:58:43 PM
Well cool that's one thing to mark off the list. And yeah I've been thinking about the wires too.
To be honest I teach Auto shop.and the kids did the wires and plugs. Although I did check it a few times I might just double check em.

Absolutely, check the spark plug wiring first, easy enough to have the wires right but starting off one hole off one way or the other in the dizzy.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

If not maybe just verify you don't have a stuck valve. Leak down tester is  good but you can always just pull the plugs and crank with a finger in each plug hole to see if pressure builds.... actually with kids be sure they are all away from the fan.
Or pull valve covers and watch to see if you may have a sticky valve. May just  have crap built up in the valveguide.
Also, be sure the exhaust is clear.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille