News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

My 1976 Eldorado update

Started by LenInLA, October 30, 2016, 04:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LenInLA

If you've followed my saga, the local shop that specializes in classic cars gave me an $8100 quote to fix the suspension and rebuild the carb. With a proviso that the car isn't likely to survive for another 1000 miles without the repairs.

I ended up taking the car to my Bentley guy. His diagnosis: everything was it a tip top shape and the clanking sound was caused by a piece of the chrome trim that was loose. Total invoice: $150

I've lost all of (the little) faith I had in car mechanics. And what's ironic - the $8100 shop was recommended by some of my neighbors with classic cars.

But the Caddy now drives like a dream!  Purchase price: $6700; repairs, new tires, rebuild tranny, new hubcaps, new door panel, new convertible top - $8900. Total - $15,600.

Which proves the advice that Brian and others gave me to buy the best car I could find.

Leonard Grayver

Leonard Grayver

76eldo

Len,

On these particular cars you come out ahead by buying a pampered low mileage example.  There are a lot of these around because many were purchased new by people that were thinking ahead and treating the car as a future collector car.

Others were run as everyday cars and only after they were several years old were they relegated to occasional use and "fixed up"'or in some cases totally restored.

I'm glad that you have yours in good running order and that you are happy with it. Making friends here and using the resources available on this message board hopefully has been a big help.

As far as the crooked mechanic is concerned, there are lots of them out there but many good and reputable ones too.

The 76 shop manual would be a great investment for you if you don't already have one.  You can read up on the various systems in the car and get a good understanding of the car.  It might be helpful when you go to the mechanic too.

Enjoy your Eldo.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: LenInLA on October 30, 2016, 04:57:05 PM
Which proves the advice that Brian and others gave me to buy the best car I could find.
Leonard Grayver 
In my case, I purchased the best car that I could afford. ;)

But as I can do my own work, I still have the best car that I  could afford, and am impriving it all the time.

Now I am fitting a rear sway bar to improve the on-road, or, actually, around corners performance.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Tpicks55

I have a 75 Eldo Convertible and I purchased it very reasonable fully knowing it would take work and some money to bring it up to a respectable car to drive.  I'm not looking to have a concurs car, although I am making it the best I can, just a good ride to have fun in the good weather.  I love the big size of the car.  Tony
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS