News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 Eldordo master brake booster and master cylinder

Started by Scot Minesinger, November 07, 2016, 06:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

My understanding:  In 1968 disc brakes were standard on the Eldorado and optional on RWD Cadillacs.  In 1967 disc brakes were optional on Eldorado only, not available on RWD.  In 1969 disc brakes were standard on all Cadillacs.  In 1968 the Eldorado power brake booster/master cylinder was unique (maybe same as a 1967?). 

Anyway need to replace or rebuild a 1968 Eldorado master brake cylinder and booster.  Prefer to replace with good re-build or new to avoid wait for rebuild of what is on the car.  Having some trouble finding one. 

Can this be changed to a 1969 or 1970, which is available readily as a re-built unit?  It would be OK if had to change a few fittings or provide relatively easy modifications, authenticity not critical, stopping is though.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

savemy67

Hello Scot,

A Master Parts listing (sorry, I don't have one) would indicate any differences in boosters and M/C's, '68 - 70.  Do you have access to the '68 Eldorado?  Close examination of it and your '70 rear drive DeVilles should help you determine how extensive any modifications need to be.  I guess you have checked the usual suspects (RockAuto, USA Parts, etc.) for rebuilts with no luck.  In another post you indicated you might want to undertake rebuilding these units yourself.  Why not start now?

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Scot Minesinger

Christopher,

Well, really have a lot on my schedule this year and thru August 2017.  I just cannot take on another responsibility right now.  I could go into it, but that is for another post on another forum.  Whatever does not kill you makes you stronger right, wait until you see me next.

The parts catalogs do not really always help with differences, guessing firewall is different on 1968 Eldorado compared to a 1969. 

Glen

Scot, my 68 ELDO has a 1970 Eldo master cylinder and booster in it.  It was a straight bolt in change.  I was driving the car as my daily driver and I could not find a good master cylinder and booster, so I took them out of the parts car and it works very well. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Scot Minesinger

Glen,

Thanks!  That is exactly the info I was looking for.