News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 Series 62 - Windshield Wipers Won't Stop - Ugh!

Started by Dualskegs62, November 09, 2016, 10:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualskegs62

Hi, Now the bloody wipers won't stop wiping. I put on the switch after not having the wipers on for a couple months. They did not come on and then after about 30 seconds they started to work and now they won't stop. I assume I'm taking the switch off and getting a visual of the mechanism.

Any advice? Thanks!
Chris Bischoff - Member 30257

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like it could be the internal parking mechanism within the wiper motor itself.

I had a similar problem with my '60 CDV, and it turned out to be a broken rubber piece that assists in the operation of the washer and parking part that had fallen off.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

P. Manoogian

Likely caked grease inside motor causing binding of small arms. Sony out feel comfortable removing motor and taking it apart?
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

Dualskegs62

Thanks all! I'm comfortable removing the motor and it looks fairly simple according to the shop manual. Anything I should be cautioned by? Is it safe to say it's not the switch and I should go directly into the motor?

P. Manoogian

Pull the motor, take off the cover and upload a picture of the internals. There are two areas where they bind. BTW, they are called "depressed park" motors because when they don't park, you get depressed. ;D
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dualskegs62

I'll pull the motor out within the next couple weeks but is it safe to say the fault is not in the switch? The wipers work smoothly at all speeds. I'd hate to pull the motor if the issue may be within the switch.

Thoughts? Thanks all!

Edward Kenny

My '62's windshield wipers will not shut off as well. I have to wait for the wipers to enter the "downswipe", at which time I set the dashboard switch to off and simultaneously gently guide the wipers to their resting position at the bottom of the windshield. The motor then shuts off. Is there a repair that I can do myself or do I need to have it serviced?

Thanks in advance for the due diligence.

savemy67

Hello Chris,

If you have the shop manual for your car, check to see if it has a procedure for checking the wiper motor with the switch disconnected at the wiper motor.  That way you can isolate the problem to either the switch or the motor without pulling either out of the car.  You should be able to disconnect the wiring connectors from the motor, and follow the test procedure in the manual.  I have done this on my '67 and on a '64.  A test procedure may or may not be described in a '62 manual.  Perhaps someone else can verify if a '62 manual has a test procedure.  You will need some electrical test leads, with at least one that can reach the battery or other 12 volt source.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
This subject has been heavily discussed on this board in the past. I suggest a search.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.