News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 power seat question.....

Started by Caseylesher, November 12, 2016, 12:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caseylesher

Hi there!
So my passenger power seat isn't totally working.
I hate to leave my car in the shop while they trouble shoot and then look for parts.
Is there a simple answer as to what it needs??
So the recline function goes back but doesn't come back up. The forward/backward function works properly.
My question is does anyone know if this means it needs a new switch relay or an entire new motor?
Any input is so much appreciated!!

The Tassie Devil(le)

Could be anything, from a dirty switch contact to a burnt out solenoid.

If the other operations are okay, then you can rule out the motor itself, as the same motor is used for all operations.   The gear box/operation transfer case is all in one, and is operated by a series of Solenoids.

They do burn out, as I can attest to, but they are repairable if one has the parts, and is able to figure out how to pull them apart.   But, the seat cas to come out, and having the forward and rearward movenment really helps in accessing the floor attaching bolts.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Does it click or buzz at all when you try to go forward?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Caseylesher

Thanks Bruce! That is helpful.....

To my second reply.... the seat goes forward ok. and it reclines back ok, but when I want to bring the recline back up the button just clicks. So now the seat sits to far back.

Scot Minesinger

Agree, do not leave it with a shop, they will make it worse (notice the word will, not probably).  Cadillac Tim rebuilds these power seat components as do other suppliers.  It may be easier to call him and go over the problems where a dialog will better narrow down the problem, and he can ship any parts you need. 

The power seat is easy to work on, remove four bolts (8 if dual comfort) and tip the seat back exposing underside.  Make repairs, test, tip seat back and re-anchor it securely - no shortcuts.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Caseylesher

Thank you!! Really appreciated and I will call Cadillac Tim tomorrow.