News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Strip the trim 74 fleetwood

Started by ithaca1230, November 18, 2016, 09:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ithaca1230

So decided to start and strip the trim before we get her over to bodyshop. Can any of you give me some pointers on how to remove all of this. I have never done this before and would like to polish it all while it is off if possible. Thanks Billy

Scot Minesinger

Please buy the Fisher Body manual for 1974.  This will show how these trim strips are mounted. 

On several of this vintage that I have seen, the side body molding have sheet metal nuts on inside and so you have to get at them, which is not much of a problem for doors and rear quarter by trunk.  Not sure if you can reach them real easy on front fender.  The bottom rocker moldings are generally anchored by fasteners on bottom, then lift off.  However, I think front fender rocker moldings are more challenging.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

35-709

Talk to the bodyshop guys that you are going to take the car to, I imagine they would be more than happy to give you some advice.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

RobW

the body side moldings have a screw at the opening end of the doors and a 7/16 speed nut on the front edge. the rest of it is held by plastic clips. use a non-marring plastic trim tool to carefully lift the molding from the lower edge and apply slight upward rolling pressure to completely remove it. the front fender between the door and wheel opening will have two clips with the same 7/16 nuts. you can reach these from above with the hood open. the left side is easier because the antenna on the right might get in your way. the quarter moldings have the same plastic clips all the way to the rear, no screws or nuts at the front edge. remove the cardboard liner in the trunk there should be some 3/8 or 7/16 nuts visible.
the lower door moldings will have the same nut/screw combination as the body side moldings. But the lower molding has special wide plastic clips with flexible ears mounted at the bottom. so when you remove the screw/nut, you want to push upward on the molding to dislodge the clip. as far as I know these clips aren't reproduced so be careful. the lower rocker molding has 5/16 hex head screws along the underside and round metal or possibly plastic service replacements along the top edge. again remove all the screws and push the entire molding upwards.
trim around the vinyl top and rear body will a nuts inside the trunk at the corners and plastic clips along the rest. again no screws at the front edge.
Rob Wirsing

ithaca1230

Thanks!! I ordered the manual and waiting for it in the mail. I was hoping to get a jump on this put with all the snow it will have to wait for a bit. Thanks again!

RobW

The last 3 posts here are a bit amusing. "talk to a body shop guy" then a "body shop guy answers with detailed instructions and the response "I'm waiting for the manual"!
Rob Wirsing