News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

car cover '53

Started by bullet bob, November 22, 2016, 08:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullet bob

I'm looking for a decent car cover, something that will cover the entire beast and not mar the paint. The car is stored inside my shop, so it doesn't need to be indoor/outdoor. It seems like within a week the darn thing is dusty. Trying not to break the bank. Thanks all.
Bob
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

Dan LeBlanc

If its indoors, I wouldn't cover it.  It's better to dust it with your California Duster and let the paint breathe (even though the covers are breathable - open breathes more freely) than to cover it.

I also made sure I put low-e glass on my garage windows to filter out UV light to keep fading to a minimum.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

walt chomosh #23510

Bob,
  I just bought a "dustup" cover from Covercraft.(I believe they made covers for California Car Cover) My last cover lasted many years...possibly 15 or so. Like you, my car is kept inside.The old cover was leaving dust from it's age. I shopped around then finally bit the bullet and settled on the dustup.(they breathe but stop any dust) I firmly wanted a USA made cover, not one from China or Vietnam.  The cover was $275 delivered to my door.....walt...Tulsa,ok

55 cadi

If you have Windows on your garage I would recommend having them tinted.

I tinted mine
1. To keep people from seeing what's inside, on a garage that people walk by
2. The sun/ uv

You can get a clear tint also that blocks U/V but still keeps the clear window look

You can buy at Home Depot or lowes, or do what I did and the local car tint shop come over and install it. I have done my own also and it does help a lot, I put clear tint on my house Windows and what a difference it made, put hand in sunlight from one not tinted and it was hot, then put hand in sunlight from clear tint one and no heat!
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

savemy67

Hello Bob,

What is the age and condition of the paint on your car?  Is it show quality?  What kind of lighting do you have in your garage?  What causes the car to get dusty in a week's time?  Do you have a California Duster?

With all due respect to Dan, I have yet to read a paper that justifies the need for car paint to "breath" after the paint has cured, whether chemically (epoxy), or via evaporation (solvents).  I can understand trying to prevent condensation under a cover, but this is not related to paint breathing.  On the other hand, dust and UV light can have a detrimental affect on a car's paint and interior.

If your car gets dusty on a weekly basis, the paint runs the risk of being scratched (albeit on a microscopic level) when the dust is removed - even by a California Duster.  The Duster consists of paraffin impregnated cotton strings that do a reasonably good job of collecting dust, but the Duster still moves dust - which can be abrasive depending on its source - around on the surface of your paint.

If you have fluorescent lights in your garage, protecting your windows may not be enough to prevent some UV damage to the car.  According to the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA), fluorescent lights emit in 8 hours the same amount of UV radiation as one minute of mid-day sun.  One minute is not much time, but it can add up over time.

You can pay a lot for a non-marring cover, but if your paint doesn't require the utmost in dust protection, you can probably get by with a $50 - $100 cover.  An inexpensive aluminum mini-blind, or a cellular shade will  prevent 98% of UV rays from coming through the windows.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

bullet bob

OK. I'll try and answer a few questions.
I just had the car painted this summer. It's not a 100 point car but just like all of our cars, it does turn heads. As far as the lights in my shop, I went with LED 4' shop lights. A little off the subject, but if you ever get a chance to buy these things, jump on it. I have 10 of these in my 24X40 pole barn/shop and everyone comments how well lit my shop is, not to mention how the car 'jumps' under these lights. The California Duster, yes I've got one. Used it when I had the 'vet. I think the dust is just a normal thing. I'm out in the country, and dust is just a normal thing. Always had the corvette under cover, and thought I'd do the same with the caddy. I did buy a RV cover at auction earlier this year. Made for a 28 footer. Figured that should cover it! But it just doesn't have that soft velvet feel that my other cover had. Kinda nervous about using it. Do you think a cover made for an RV would be gentle enough for a classic?
Bob
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

savemy67

Hello Bob,

You would have to know what the RV cover is made of, and compare it to a cover sized for your car.  There is a lot of information available on the properties of textiles, but most of this has to do with the textiles themselves - not how they might impact the finish on your car.  If you google "fabrics that won't scratch paint", you will find a few automotive car cover discussions.  Look for the sites that aren't selling covers, and see if you can corroborate what you find on one site with info from another site.  Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop