News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

oil for 346 engine

Started by mr41cadillac, November 22, 2016, 07:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

what oil and weight to use in my 346 engine. its been rebuilt and has no oil filter. also should i use stp or what? i think 30 weight was original recommendation. im in southern ga temp. rarely gets below 28 degrees. john

Bobby B

John,
Hi. I've had good luck running 10W-30 Dino oil with a High Zinc content. Joe Gibbs, Brad Penn, Valvoline VR1, all good choices. Hope this Helps...
                                                                                                          Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

harry s

John, As Bobby mentioned the proper amount of zinc is the important thing. I used Valvoline VR 1 30 wt racing oil. I got it from Summit Racing.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

mr41cadillac

thanks all ill get some john

robert G. smits

Royal Purple makes excellent high Zink oils and can usually be found at the Auto box stores.  Bob Smits #2426
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

mr41cadillac

after some research I found out that Castrol 10-40  oil has .12 percent zinc. its available at wal mart 5 qts for 16.97.  john

Bobby B

John,
I don't think Standard Castrol Dino Oil has the correct amount of Zinc needed for a Flat Tappet Motor.  1200-1400 ppm is recommended. Castro used to have an "XL" line of Castrol GTX specifically for use in Classic vehicles, but to my knowledge was only available in SAE 30W and 20W-50. Neither of those weights appeal to me as far as use in a classic vehicle. If you use an additive, it's recommended that it be heated and mixed with the oil or it'll stay suspended in the pan. There are many sources of reading regarding this subject.
                Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

mr41cadillac

bobby I meant to say  I bought the Castrol gtx 10-30. the article I read says it has .12 percent zinc . I read this on line in an article from hamb. however the bottle does not state it has zinc.  a little confusing. and ive already put it in john

Bobby B

John,
Castro GTX = 610 ppm Zinc. Content of Zinc plays a small role in the oil you choose as this should not be the deciding factor alone when choosing the correct oil for your car. And Higher zinc is not always better, it just means it'll stay in the oil a lot longer thru the heat/cool cycles as zinc breaks down in this process. Use whatever oil you like in your car, but please educate yourself regarding the products you choose if you want your classic car to last. Here's an excellent article that everyone interested in oil should read:
                                                                                                                                                                                         Bobby
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-performance/443674-zinc-myth-test-data-dozen-more-oils.html
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH