News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Series 62 Coupe — Windshield wiper assembly questions

Started by Chris Bamford, November 23, 2016, 02:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Bamford

Hello all â€" I'm helping a friend get his long-term '41 Coupe project completed and on the road next year.  The wiper components were removed by a previous owner perhaps 20 years ago and we are trying to establish what items are required to achieve functioning wipers.  There are components for two different cars in the mix, so possibly some or all of what I ask about below will still turn up.

Photo 1: The only components labeled Wipers we have found thus far are shown here.  These are pot metal and while it is not obvious from the photo, the slots intended to receive linkage bars are partially broken away and probably beyond rehabilitation. More to the point, from Googling photos and eBay ads it appears that these are not even part of the 1941 wiper system. Comments?

Photo 2: I assume this asymmetrical bracket under the driver's side cowl is for mounting the missing vacuum motor.  Correct?

Photo 3: This eBay photo purports to be a '41 Cadillac wiper tower and mount. Is this correct, and are there different versions for left and right side?

Photo 4: This eBay photo purports to be a '41 Buick wiper tower and linkage assembly. If so, would they interchange with '41 Cadillac components? (I can see the exterior trim/vertical lines are different.)

Photo 5: '41 Buick photo... is this basically the same setup as '41 Cadillac?

Thanks in advance!

Roger Zimmermann

The picture # 1 is more like the transmission for the vent window. The slot is getting the flat shaft from the vent window, and the splined shaft is for the handle. If this is for a 1941 car is another question...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Steve Passmore

Hi Chris.
Question number 1.
As roger said this is nothing to do with the wipers. These are the transmissions for the opening side window vents in the doors.

Number 2.
Correct. the bracket is for the vacuum motor.

Number 3.
The transmission towers certainly do have a left and right side.  Its marked on the transmission left and right. The longest rod is to the passenger side.There are also many different heights to the towers depending on the series although they will still fit.

Number 4.
Do not assume the Buick parts will fit the Cadillac as the 41 Cadillac motors are positioned to clear the massive Cadillac radio and may not be the same in the Buick.  The arms may be totally different lengths. This answers question 5. also.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bob Schuman

Chris,

The wiper motor and the two transmissions (that is the name for the chrome stands on the cowl, with the underdash linkages attached) are specific for the 1941 Series 62 and 75 cars and some early 1942 Series 75 cars, per my Master body Parts Book. That does not identify if any C Body Buick, Olds or Pontiac parts will interchange. The other series 1941 Cadillacs wiper parts are not exactly the same. You may want to contact <Wiperman.com> who may have what you need.

I bought new wiper transmissions for my 41 62 Series sedan for $4 apiece, but that was in 1974. I know that will not make you feel any better.

Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Chris Bamford

Roger and Steve, thank you both for your prompt and very helpful replies.

Yes, the transmissions in Photo 1 could only be vent windows, more pre-thought could have saved what now seems like a silly question. Anyhow, knowing now what they are, I'm optimistic that they can be rehabilitated despite the weak pot metal around the vent glass shaft receiver.

And now that we know basically what to look for for the wiper assemblies, they may well turn up in the boxes here. Otherwise we will have to find out if the Classified Forum is as helpful as the Technical Forum.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Bob has just posted — more helpful and very specific information, thanks, and I'll be in touch with Wiperman once we determine what we do, and do not, have here.

Bill Ingler #7799

Chris: Several years ago there was a posting on this forum for the restoration of the pot metal vent window actuator, the link is below. I used the directions in restoring my vent windows on my 47 convert. This might help you with your vent windows.  Bill

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=118336.msg198918#msg198918

Chris Bamford

Steve Passmore

I hadn't read this article but I did a pair of mine last year quite successfully just working through it with common sence and it went very well. The difference when these units are cleaned out and re-greased is phenomenal.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Paul Phillips

Chris
The wiper transmissions are model specific - part of this is aesthetic- smooth, ribbed, etc, part is height of the tower, and part is length & geometry of the 'flat' connecting links. Since you are working on a Fisher body instead of Fleetwood, there is a chance to sub something from a Buick of the same Fisher body type, it may just look different. The wiper trans you pictured shows that the ball on the link has been popped out of the socket on the wiper transmission. My view is somebody got lucky to do that, as the pot metal of the socket is fairly fragile on 75 year old parts. I woul advise not to try to separate that interface.  You can 'cut & weld' the flat link to change the length, if you try to use non Caddy parts.

On the vent window regulator, the procedure Bill provided is a good one. The only thing I did different was to tap the body for 1/4-20 instead of 10-32, and used a stainless binder head screw and blue Loctite in the reassembly.

Good luck on the project.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Chris Davis

FWIW

According to the Trico parts book 1941 series 62 and 75 used Trico G-79104-1C and H-78556-1C for the right side wiper linkage and wiper head respectively.  Left side is G-79103-1C and H-78557-1C.

The same part numbers apply to the 1941 Buick 50 and 70 series closed cars.  The 1941 Pontiac 24 and 29 models show the same wiper head but have a slightly different part number for the linkage.

As others have pointed out, series 61, 63 and 67 have different wiper heads/linkages. The 60 Special is in its own class with part numbers unique to that model.