News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Cadillac 62 series Hood Alignment

Started by C Gorgas, November 23, 2016, 03:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C Gorgas

I have done a frame-off build of my '41 and the hood does not fit properly at the cowl. I have had the springs off as well when doing the rebuild. Are there any set procedures for making sure the hood is properly aligned? When the car was assembled in 1941 surely they had a process for installing. All comments are appreciated. Chet Gorgas 25441

Steve Passmore

The only way to adjust it properly is to do it without the springs attached. They will always pull down when the bolts are released otherwise.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

harry s

It is very hard to get the factory alignment back once the hood has been removed.  The best way i have found is to start with the core support with grille installed then fit the hood to that. When that alignment is done  hook up the springs. In most cases the alignment will change when the springs are hooked up. At that point you have to try different adjustments to align with the springs attached. This procedure requires hooking and unhooking the springs for each adjustment until you get the fit desired. Once the hood is aligned to the cowl and grille you can install the fenders to fit the installed hood. I think this procedure is described in the shop manual or maybe the body manual. I don't have my reference material handy.       Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Harry is correct. I found it to be a 3 man job & I did it before the car was painted. Here's some pic's that show it can be done.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Harry & others,
Harry, can you post pics of your hood alignment? Also, notice my dual King Bee mirrors. I chose to drill thru the door lip as there was no room for a clamp-on because of my severely raked windshield. I used the special low profile screws from the inside & spanner nuts on the outside.
Bob

harry s

Nice fit Bob. You got it a little "tighter" than I did. After going through the fit process I now look at the fit on all of the 41s I see. There were two at our region's show last month that were original cars and had not had the hoods removed (to the best of the owners knowledge). The fit on those cars was factory perfect. A real treat to see.
http://www.clcpotomacregion.org/2016fallcarshow.htm    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Tlentz

I was lucky enough to have a local mechanic show me his technique and shared a lot of advice.  It was determined that my springs were shot so I still have not finished the hood.  However, what he told me was if the car is taken apart for paint, its best to start on the drivers side fender the doors and work your way all the way around the the pass side fender.  So getting the gaps shimmed and tweeked first on body and doors.  Shimming under the cross bar solved a lot of my alignment problems alone, but not enough to overcome the worn springs.  I really would hate doing this on fresh paint though!
Cheers,
Todd Lentz
1941 Cadillac 6319D
1964 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1950 Chevy Styline Special
5 Crazy Kids

Barry M Wheeler #2189

On at least Series 62 cars for 1941, there is an easy way to get the springs off and back on. There is a U-shaped box down under the cowl area, near the battery box area. (I don't have the car anymore, so I'm doing this by memory.) This box has a hole near the bottom. What I did was use an 18-24" square (could be round) bar I had lying around, drilled a vertical hole in it and put a threaded hook in that hole. The hook I (hooked) into the bottom of the spring assembly and ran another bolt through the pre-drilled hole in the hole drilled by Fisher. With very little pressure, you will be able to pull it down and swing it undone. Make the hole bigger than the hook so you will have some wiggle room.

As with any work done on springs that can fly without warning, place a heavy blanket around where you're taking the springs loose. Also, promise your wife dinner out for standing around for five minutes making sure you don't need an ambulance. (This is so simple, I promise you she will say, "Well, is THAT all you needed me for?")

Once you get under the car and find the "box" I'm speaking of, my ramblings will make more sense. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Todd,
I have some used springs that have been off a car & stored for almost 40 years. They should be good , but I have no way to test them. $150 plus shipping. Please advise.
Thanks, Bob

Paul Phillips

Chet
There is a procedure outlined in the factory manual on how to do this. It is done with fenders off. You definitely want the springs installed for the procedure. As the other guys have cautioned, be careful when installing the springs.  There is an incredible amount of stored energy in a stretched spring!  The 41 hood is quite heavy, and even fresh springs only barely counterbalance this weight. If you did a frame off, the other thing that comes into play is getting the right spacers under the radiator core support to set the front height for the hood. The fenders are adjusted after the hood & core support are right to make all the gaps right. It is hard to put this process in a few words for a post. Let me know if you want to talk about it. Adjusting these panels and the gaps is an art that Cadillac workers practiced well in the day. Today's body men expect everything to just fall into place. It wasn't that way in 1941.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Bill Ingler #7799

In addition to what has been covered in the above postings on alignment, no amount of adjustment is going to give you a good fit of the hood at the doors or fenders, unless the hood hinges have a tight fit. Hood hinges are held together by rivets and those hinges move around those hood rivets every time the hood is opened or closed. Over the years those rivets get worn and a good fit of the hood becomes more difficult. I was on a CCCA tour several years ago were a friend`s 41 hood worn hinge rivet broke. The hood popped out on that side about 3 inches bending the hood and damaging the top of the fender. So any slop in your worn hood hinge is not helping in hood alignment and those hood rivets should be replaced. There are several firms who specialize in rebuilding hood hinges. SMS Auto Restoration rebuilt the hood hinges on my 47.   Bill

C Gorgas

I thank all who have replied. I believe the cart was put in front of the horse in that the fenders were installed first. I will go back and redo as necessary. I certainly have a clearer picture of what to do. Chet G 25441