News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Start driving your car while you still can .

Started by DBDB, November 26, 2016, 02:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBDB

Down here in Belgium a new law is prepared to make it impossible to put a new or used car on your name that is powered by fuel after 2030.Only electric powered cars will be allowed  .Wow !

Bobby B

How about the fact that you already own it? Are they not allowing gasoline powered vehicles on the road, PERIOD? Are they going to stop selling fuel? They tried something like this in New Jersey about 30 years ago where they went around picking up vehicles that were over a few years old right off the street. That didn't get too far. A friend of mine lost an Oldsmobile Rallye 350 that way. You need to contact your local representative and take action regarding this. >:( >:( >:(               Keep us posted .....
                                                                                                                                                                                           Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

bcroe

Quote from: DBDB
Down here in Belgium a new law is prepared to make it impossible to put a new or used car on your name that is powered by fuel after 2030.Only electric powered cars will be allowed  .Wow ! 

I don't know how you are supposed to be able to make a 500 mile trip (extremely common here). 
But here when they stopped making really big cars, people just started driving trucks.  Bruce Roe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: DBDB on November 26, 2016, 02:21:37 PM

When you say the law is "prepared", does that mean it has actually been passed?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

mr41cadillac

thank god the nutty buddy liberals got stopped in the good old usa in our last election

Steve Passmore

This is the sort of reasons we (UK) voted to leave the mental institution they call Brussels.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

You know this same type of tripe has been "announced" for the last several decades.  They're going to take my (you fill in the blank) away.  Let's see, how many solely electrical vehicles are currently being manufactured that are priced at anything like the Fiat 500, a common EU vehicle?  How many electrical charging stations are currently in operation in Belgium? HMMMM seems we have a disconnect there. It never failes to amaze me at how easily we are scared that something is about to be taken away from us and how vocal we get at immedeiately finding the blame with whoever it is we choose to blame for just about all the things in our life that have been lost.  Cigarettes, no seat belts, safety glass, air bags, you go on.
Cool it.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 49er on November 26, 2016, 02:37:25 PM
In addition. We have a second amendment here. I think they would be risking an armed insurrection here in the states or some kind of fate like Mussolini suffered.......
Don't forget that the Second Amendment is just that, an Amendment, and anything that can be amended, can be amended over and over.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

mario

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on November 26, 2016, 05:02:08 PM
Don't forget that the Second Amendment is just that, an Amendment, and anything that can be amended, can be amended over and over.

Bruce. >:D

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1696190/tasmanias-registered-firearm-numbers-grow/

I read that you guys are in the process of "amending" !!!

Ciao,
Mario caimotto

DBDB

Well to be correct : One of our political parties ( the catholic party) had their congress today and this was one of their points on their program .You can imagine that i am not going to vote for them for sure .
This was not on the program from Europe but only for Belgium at this moment .

David Greenburg

Not in Tasmania, which is what the article is referring to.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

936CD69

Moderators,
I find some posts in this thread highly offensive. Political discussions are against the rules, correct?
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

"You know this same type of tripe has been "announced" for the last several decades.  They're going to take my (you fill in the blank) away.  Let's see, how many solely electrical vehicles are currently being manufactured that are priced at anything like the Fiat 500, a common EU vehicle?  How many electrical charging stations are currently in operation in Belgium? HMMMM seems we have a disconnect there. It never failes to amaze me at how easily we are scared that something is about to be taken away from us and how vocal we get at immedeiately finding the blame with whoever it is we choose to blame for just about all the things in our life that have been lost.  Cigarettes, no seat belts, safety glass, air bags, you go on.
Cool it.
Greg Surfas"

CASE CLOSED
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

quadfins

Unless this thread returns to a discussion of cars, it will be locked and deleted.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

John McDaniel #30295

I love driving my '66 Convertible.  Put another 20 miles on it today.  Turned over to 59,000 yesterday.  Love driving it.
Looking to learn as much as I can to improve the collectibility of these fine automobiles!

1966 Triple Black Convertible

Former collectibles:
1959 Series 62 Converible
1959 Series 62 Six Window Sedan
1965 GTO Convertible
1957 Thunderbird

76eldo

I have been hearing "The end is near" ever since they stopped selling leaded fuel in 1975 or so.

People love driving their cars and the hobby and the lobby are huge.  People also like selling gasoline and oil so I don't think we need to worry about this in our lifetime.

My 2 cents...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Brian,
"The end was near" in the 30's when they thought they were running out of oil for gasoline, and decided to add tetra ethyl leazd to the gasoline so that it could be a "temporary" fuel while the decided what would replace it.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Scot Minesinger

No reason to panic. 

Let's see what the future holds for electric cars and for that matter self driving cars.  It may be great by 2030.  Frankly almost all traffic jams are human error, and with self driving cars we will be saying, remember when there were traffic jams.  Except for a step back in the 1980's cars have generally gotten better, and it is likely in the future this will continue.  generally these types of things are phased in anyway, not OK tomorrow no more such and such, 100% to zero in a day.

There may be kits to make your classic electrically powered - you never know.  Granted it would not be efficient, but probably would function reasonably well.  I know probably takes ten times the power to move a 1976 Cadillac at 60mph than a Prieus (spelling?), but with future advance batteries and automotive electric motors it may be practical albeit more expensive.  I would probably convert mine over, but in 2030, I will 80 years old and may just go with the flow.

The end is not near, and the future looks bright - enjoy the day!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

Human error is responsible for many problems, that I see every day.  The self driving car might
be better than some of the drivers on the road today, but it has already killed one of its
proponents.  I am not ready to accept it as the equal of my own 1.5 million mile experience,
keeping alive with great diligence, gobs of experience, and a good share of luck.  At this stage
software has killed many other people in other situations, though the originators are trying to
avoid the blame. 

For 2 centuries batteries have been under development.  Lately a lot of things have been catching
fire due to the latest battery, only incremently better than past units.  Something revolutionary
MIGHT be developed, but I won't be holding my breath.  Bruce Roe

Glen

One of the problems to work out with self-driving cars is if there is an accident who is responsible?  Say it is a single car accident with a stationary object, or an accident between two self-driving cars?
Would the owner of the car be responsible or the manufacturer?   The legal aspects need to be worked out before the self-driving cars are allowed on the road. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104