News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Plastic & Aluminum Radiator From China, I just can't do it !!!

Started by 76eldo, December 05, 2016, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

The radiator in my 80 Eldorado is leaking from the core somewhere.

I thought I had a spare but it's for something else.

I went to Advance Auto and bought a cheap radiator to put in the car and was planning on getting my original one repaired or re-cored locally.

I opened the box and looked at the POS radiator and just can't bring myself to install it in my Caddy.

I am bringing the existing radiator to the shop in the morning and hope that they can do a repair.  I am hoping that the core isn't shot.

I have looked all over for a copper proper replacement radiator but can't find one online or from any of my local sources.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

STS05lg

Brian, try Raz Radiator, they did the radiator in my Talisman and it was like brand new. Ronnie Hux told me about them and I was not disappointed. It is multi-generational business and all they do is rebuild radiators with only American materials.

TJ Hopland

Parts stores can get a metal tank radiator still they just don't usually stock em.      US Radiator still makes OE style or OE with upgraded cores.   I don't know if regular stores sell em but specialty shops do.  They seem to be priced similar to a re core.   I have heard that they are often at least a month out on less common applications. 

I have not had issues with the plastic ones.   I was afraid of them at first but after looking at how many OE ones are still around that proves the concept can work.   I have not had fit issues or anything.  I have read about transmission lines needing adapters but the last one I was searching for adapters and noticed they were already installed, removing them had the correct threads to fit the lines.  They also seem to cool fine.

If you have the money and can find a place to do it having an original rebuilt is a fine idea its just hard to find em and its not cheap. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jeff Wilk

Cap-A-Radiator in Farmingdale, NY is also an old time shop that uses OEM American materials. And they will ship back and forth with you. Top notch work.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

James Landi

I've install the cheapo's and they work...  not sure what the service life is, but they are not overly expensive, and limping along with an ancient radiator with a core that is encrusted and not effective is a disaster in the waiting.

Scot Minesinger

Those plastic side aluminum core radiators do work well.  I had a similar situation on a 1985 Buick, but there was a metal cover on top of radiator so it was not very noticeable.

I think local repair/rebuild/re-core is only option to keep 100% true authentic look.  You may want to try Desert Air, they manufacturer all metal radiators that look authentic, and I have them in all my 1970 Cadillacs (no deducts at GN).  They are same price is a local re-core.  One of my Desert Air radiators is now almost ten years old and 35k miles on it.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

76eldo

I'm going to drop mine off today to see if it can be repaired and flushed out.

I may install the cheapo one and try it because I have to move the car into storage and move my 70 from where it is back to my house.  Right now it's on the lift with an empty space where the rad should be.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

76eldo

I dropped off my radiator this morning and it needs a new core. It will be all new for $450.00, so I told them to order the core and to do it, The Chinese play radiator goes back.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv