News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Sedan de Ville power seat mechanism

Started by xraygun, December 08, 2016, 06:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xraygun

Greetings,

Having a little trouble with the electric seat mechanism. Power to the motor, spindle turns, the center mechanism acts like it's stripped. Is this an electromagnetically controlled doodad?

It smokes when activated which I assume isn't good.

Motor turns fine, no smoke.

Any input on getting it operating is appreciated.
Picture attached,
Cheers,
Ray

carguyblack

Sounds like your mechanism is working as it should with nothing stripped but rather one or more of your 3 solenoids are sticking or not activating. The first test would be to isolate each solenoid wire and run power to it and listen to see if it clicks. That would mean the windings of the coils are still OK. If no sound, the solder contact to the coils may have oxidized. Sometimes simply soldering it will complete the connection once again. The other issue with those things is that the ball bearing inside of them get gummed up and need to be cleaned so the ball can rise and fall as power to the solenoid commands it to.  Without that ball engaging the shaft, your shaft and motor will spin until eternity and appear to be stripped. Not the case. This repair is a delicate matter and takes some steady hands, good eyesight and some finesse. Once the coil is opened up and cleaned, re-wrap the coil mechanism with white medical tape of the same width as the original. That's what I did and it held nicely if you use pretty sticky stuff to begin with. Hope this offers some encouragement. Good luck! The smoking issue is concerning and you'll have to see exactly where that's coming from before I can comment on that one!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

xraygun

Thanks Chuck,
I'll give it a try, great info!

J. Gomez

Ray,

Which one of the doodads is smoking, the relay or the solenoids?

In addition to Chuck comments check the following thread and the other ones listed there as well, there is several tips on the 6-way power seat.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=142582.msg345404#msg345404

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

carguyblack

I should probably mention that in order to properly rebuild the solenoids, you need to remove them from the threaded shaft. There are pins driven through the threaded shaft that need to be punched out in order for you to un-thread the solenoids off the shaft. The service manual describe that as probably the threads referred to as well. Quite an involved process but kind of fun once you understand the principle of operation. The hard work is already done.... the monster seats are out and upside down by the looks of your picture!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

xraygun

It's the center solenoid.
I'll check out the link. I think I have a shop manual around somewhere.
Thanks!
Ray