News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Buffalo wire wheel hubs - removal?

Started by m-mman, December 11, 2016, 12:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-mman

The car: 1929 Town Sedan equipped with buffalo wire wheels.
I have the Buffalo tool and have removed the wheels, and now I want to remove the drum & bearing. BUT HOW????

Do you remove the 12 nuts that are against the drum? Are they locked studs or free turning bolts?
Do you remove the 'dust cover'?  Does it unscrew? And what is the little nut/stud next to it for? does it lock it somehow?
I have included pictures

I am starting with the fronts, but if there is anything you can tell me about what I will find on the rears I would also be grateful.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

m-mman

Ok I figured out how these things work and I am posting pictures to perhaps help someone else.

The dust cover screws on. Both sides are right hand threads (unlike the large nuts for the wheels) They take a 1 11/16 socket.
The small nut/stud is indeed a thread locking device. The dust cover has a slit in the threads The small stud passes through this slit. After tightening the dust cover the small nut/stud is tightened and compresses the slit putting pressure on the dust cover threads.

To remove loosen the small nut on the stud (you don't have to remove it) and unscrew the dust cover. It took a few taps on the breaker bar to get it turning.

Interesting design, functional, but not something I have seen on newer cars.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

TJ Hopland

Interesting.  I have seen that before but it wasn't on a car but was a bearing cap from that era.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason