News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Finally Putting the Top Up

Started by Evan Wojtkiewicz, December 12, 2016, 01:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Wojtkiewicz

Okay, so I have a guilty confession to make. I've been preoccupied with a new job for the past couple of months and I kept forgetting to put the top up on my car. The top's been down since it was +65˚ and now that it's 20-something˚ I'm worried about what effect that'll have on the vinyl. Is there a problem putting the top up cold or is it okay?
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

The Tassie Devil(le)

Putting the top up on a cold day is not adviseable, as it needs to b e soft, and this can only really be done by the rays of the Sun.

20 something is below freezing point, and you will most likely find that the header bow will be a long way from the pins on the windscreen top.

If you can put the car in a garage, and heat up the garage, this will assist greatly in allowing the top material to stretch as it goes up, and will also take out all the creases as the material settles into its shape.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   I am no top expert, but any material needs heat to let it take shape.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

What year?  Plastic back window or glass?

At this point I would wait for a warmer day.  If it's a plastic back window it could crack at 20 degrees.

If you can warm up the garage you may need to put the top up but don't try to latch it right away.

Let it warm up and stretch back out a bit.

Unless I know I am using the car in a day or two I always put the top up when parked.  Time can slip away and next thing you know its months later.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Evan Wojtkiewicz

Hey guys, it's a '67 with a glass top. Right now it's in an attached garage so I could either rent a space heater from Home Depot or just leave the house to garage door open for a few hours to let it warm up.

I kind of dropped the ball this year getting it into storage and as soon as the roads clear up and dry off, it's going to be moved to a nearby storage facility.

CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

76eldo

Getting it warmer in the garage, at least 50 or so will help.

Is it as cold in the garage right now as it is outside?

One thing that would help it to open the garage door, let the car run for about 10 minutes or so, then shut it down, close the door and open the hood.  If it's in a one car garage the heat in the engine might help to bring the space up a bit warmer.

The vinyl sides of the top are also prone to cracking in cold temps.

Depending on where you live we sometimes get warm days.  I remember about 10 years ago here in Philly it was 70 on New Year's Day!  I was riding around with the top down on Jan1.

Maybe just wait?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

Warm up the garage real well, and it takes some time until the warm air in the garage warms up the top and car (maybe a day).

I drive my car 100 times per year (98% with top down) and after every use put the top up.  This keeps the interior clean.  Plus that time you leave it down, is the time you leave it not driven for weeks and some dirt event soils the interior - Murphy.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Evan Wojtkiewicz

I just would up leaving the house-to-garage door open for about six or so hours which warmed up the garage enough. It turned out to be just above freezing today anyway.

I remembered reading a Bob Lutz interview where he mentioned that GM had an old standard that ash tray doors had to operate in -20˚ temps (or something like that) and figured that they must have designed the convertible top and system with adequate tolerances for situations like this.

It went up just fine. The hydraulics sounded a bit cranky, but that was to be expected all things considering.

Thanks!
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible