News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Series 62 Coupe — Vent glass transmission repair

Started by Chris Bamford, December 12, 2016, 02:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Bamford

I'm helping a fiend get his long-term '41 Coupe project on the road and completed next year. This forum has been a tremendous source of information for us, and I now have a little something I can give back in case it is helpful to other owners.

We had both vent window transmission assemblies, however both had cracked/broken out pot metal in the socket that receives the blade down from the triangular glass frame.  I've completed what ought to be a serviceable repair to both sockets using stainless-steel aircraft safety wire and common epoxy. My hope is that this should be at least as strong as the original casting. The only other work required for these was a good cleaning and lubrication.

If this post ought to be in another sub-forum, moderators please move accordingly. Thank you.

Photo Vent trans in place: The pot metal socket had cracked in both transmissions while over-stressing when attempting to fully close the vent. Cracks are on other side of socket.  Photo shows three individual safety-wire ties nearest the vent glass plus one more close to transmission housing.

Photo Vent trans viewA: All four wraps are encased in epoxy to ensure they stay put. Arrow points to crack in the pot metal.

Photo Vent trans viewB: Shows four individual twists, one for each wire; arrow again indicates the offending crack. Other transmission was worse.

Photo Aviation safety wire: Purchased a pound of this tough 1/32" wire 6-8 years ago for about $25.

TMoore - NTCLC

Chris -

Thanks for providing a possible solution to a problem - lots of restorations have encountered this issue.  Please let us know how it works out, but it would appear to be a practical way to keep this unit in service.

Tod

Steve Passmore

I have seen standard hose clips doing this repair also over the years.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe