News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1958 splash shield paper?

Started by fishnjim, December 13, 2016, 11:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

I'd like to replace the inner fender well splash pieces with new material.  I'm not sure exactly what this was called in the day, other than reinforced tar paper.   
I don't find much available except fiberglass roofing paper.   

Has anyone replaced these and what did you use or where did you source the paper?
It's approx 1/8" thick. 

ps: I don't want to buy a 144 ft roll for a few feet, if I don't have to.   I got enough extra things stored in this garage.   Nor pay a fortune for precuts.

Walter Youshock

It's called mastic ate rubber sheeting.  I got it from Restoration Supply company.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

cadparts58

If you have a belting company (conveyor belts) in your area and if you have a sample of the old masticated rubber, they can supply it for you. That is what I did when I made the rubber pieces for my 58. They can probably sell you whatever size you want. I was lucky, they had the size I needed and they gave it to me. I hope this helps.
Frank Puma #10721

fishnjim

I found this at restoration, I'd already searched them, but it's only 1/16"?   It's too thin for these parts.   They're more like 1/8".   They go around the A arm and the opposite side of the steering gear, and the seams of the wheel wells.   
Is this the stuff?   Before I drop $60.

MAT014-WS (Sold By The Foot)
Image 1

Image 1

Price:
$13.75
SKU:
MAT014-WS
Weight:
1.50 LBS
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout
Quantity:

Product Description
All Black Rubber; 1/16" Thick Rubber With Fibers Used On Splash Aprons, A-Arms & Wheel Wells; 43" Wide; Sold By The Foot

fishnjim

It mic'ed out at 3/32"
Steele has it and they're right up the street, just a bit pricey.   
So I'll call them.
A set of one side cut outs is about $67 ea. so it's still better.