News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

White dash pad in a 1959 Cadillac.... Possible or Impossible??

Started by Rmperry, December 14, 2016, 06:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rmperry

There has been a lot of discussion about whether or not the white dash pad in the blue 59 Eldorado in the Dallas Mecum auction is factory or not.

So, my question is... is it possible that it could have been ordered that way or is that totally impossible?? Responses based on facts and not just opinions is what I am looking for. Thanks.
Richard Perry

Rmperry

Mr. Refakis, can you provide a website or reference book that stipulates what colors the dash pads offered were? I have searched and found nothing but it's possible I was not looking in the right place. To simply respond "impossible" is not stating a fact, it's expressing an opinion unless you have documentation to support your response. I'm sure others here will accept your answer without question but I'm looking for something more than that. Thanks for your time.
Richard Perry

Rmperry

Could a car be ordered back in 1959 with a white dash?? That is the real question. Was it theoretically possible?
Richard Perry

76eldo

Bill Refakis IS the website AND reference book on the 1959 Eldo.

Mopar has Galen Govier.  Ford has the Marti report.  CLC, regarding the 59 Eldo has Bill Refakis.

He doesn't say much and doesn't like to rate other people's cars but when he tells you something about a 59 Eldorado, it's the final word.

If you need to see it in black and white you need to find or purchase a book called the 1959 Cadillac Optional Specifications Manual.  It was the book used at the dealerships to assist in ordering the cars.

Brian

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

South_paw

Quote from: Rmperry on December 14, 2016, 06:56:27 PM
Could a car be ordered back in 1959 with a white dash?? That is the real question. Was it theoretically possible?

This one is for Bill. See attached from the 1959 Spec manual.   

wrefakis

let me put this to rest any dash pad deviation would have to be an SO this car is not

it does not state that a 59 can not be ordered with a 365 engine as well, there is no list of order exclusions

100% no 59 eldo was built with a white dash

this car was done without regard to detail and that's fine, but bucket seat cars have a dome light switch in the drivers side rear trim panel, do you see one?

the used a screw and lock washer not a bolt on the front fender, over the years you miss the small details you, miss the big ones

Bud Ward only built cars to shove thru collector car auctions make em shine!

wrefakis

thanks to lou and brian,just got back from yet another 59 eldo hunt!

Dan LeBlanc

The data book and optional specifications manual can be found in their entirety here:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Cadillac/1959_Cadillac_VVI.pdf

Meanwhile, I'll still be over here eating my popcorn and watching this crap show wondering how much longer this is going to continue.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

rwchatham CLC 21892

All I know is when I am restoring a 59 Eldo and I have a question I call Big Bill, if he says it, thats good enough for me . Like he stated the rear seat switch on bucket seat cars and the fender screw with the large washer those are some of the first things covered when restoring a 59 eldo along with firewall and cowl finish, underhood paint , correct seam on the transmission tunnel carpet, proper bolt plating , proper trunk kit, correct air cleaner color with the correct sheen , which is not to shiny  etc.  I searched for may years for a true 59 Eldo SO car and finally found one and Big Bill was a big help along the way .
R. Waligora

Rmperry

Thank you to South Paw. You showed me what I was asking for. Have a nice day.
Richard Perry

Eldovert

Quote from: 76eldo on December 14, 2016, 07:22:58 PM
Bill Refakis IS the website AND reference book on the 1959 Eldo.

Mopar has Galen Govier.  Ford has the Marti report.  CLC, regarding the 59 Eldo has Bill Refakis.

He doesn't say much and doesn't like to rate other people's cars but when he tells you something about a 59 Eldorado, it's the final word.

If you need to see it in black and white you need to find or purchase a book called the 1959 Cadillac Optional Specifications Manual.  It was the book used at the dealerships to assist in ordering the cars.

Brian

Brian,
Just a FYI..Galen Govier is NOT the go to guy for Mopar......google is your friend.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail