News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Eldorado dash paint

Started by cadman56, December 15, 2016, 01:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadman56

I seem to be unable to locate in the 1956 Authenticity Manual whether the paint on the dash is glossy, semi-gloss, or flat.  Any ideas on this?
Thanks in advance, Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Eldovert

Larry,
You might try this question over on the mid century board where the webmaster not only owns a 56 but works in the paint industry.
My feeling is the lower dash is a gloss finish.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

http://midcenturycadillacs.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oqe103lflgq8lpuntjvs7gtm04&;

Walter Youshock

Level of gloss will depend on the color and of its a metallic.  It will match the painted trim on the doors, too.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Caddy Wizard

The paint was lacquer when new and I would guess that it was sprayed as shiny as they could muster.  I doubt they color sanded it.  My mid-fifties Cad dashes were always glossy when I got them (including my 56 cars).  Here are some pics of my paintwork on dash/door trim for a 56 Fleetwood...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)