News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Stereo / audio system for '79 Fleetwood.

Started by J.C., December 17, 2016, 06:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.C.

Also, does anyone know of a good, reliable vendor who could supply a working, repaired, or refurbished radio / stereo for a '79 Fleetwood?  The original stereo has been removed from my Fleetwood and replaced with a Kenwood...  As, always, help is appreciated!  Thanks!
2023 Genesis G80 Electrified
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

936CD69

Try United Auto Radio in East Syracuse, New York. Undoubtedly on e*bay as well
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

TJ Hopland

Seems like it was not too long ago someone mentioned one of the classic radio repair shops was closing down or thinning out their inventory and I remember they had some radios of that vintage for sale.   Can't find the thread or remember the name at the moment.

If that kenwood works you can likely get some money for that when you are done with it.  That style radio has value to people that don't want to spend the bucks on the classic radios or a repair but don't want to cut the dash.

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

936CD69

John, here is a link to a very nice AM-FM 8 track for your car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272488293476?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I sent you a PM regarding the other matter

Craig
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Walter Youshock

1979 was the first year for cassette which would be a nice option to have.  It was also the first year for digital display with the clock in the radio instead of the top of the dash.

I actually liked the standard clock location as it was easy for rear seat passengers to see.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

936CD69

I agree, the cassette would be nice, or even the standard AM=FM. The link above was the only one that came up on my searches today
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

collector

I have an NOS one for a 1983 Eldorad. It works the same and I guarantee it to be working. You might have to change the faceplate but the cassette and radio works perfectly.

TJ Hopland

I don't think that will fit his car.  77-79 ish had a really wide mount.   The front plate was all one piece and had really wide ears where it attached to the dash. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Never saw the "NORM" lettering on the tone controls like that before on a Symphony Sound radio unless is was a Bose radio. Usually the halfway mark for bass & treble controls was for flat setting, not full on.

Front mounting plates were interchangable though.

Most '79 Cadillac digital radios were 1 year only with "LOCAL/DISTANT" sensitivity selector switch for scanning. A twin switch on the other side was the AM/FM selector. 1979 knobs (w/'79 woodgrain) may or may not fit other years.

The numbers were larger on the display of 1979 Cadillac radios except for the CB/w 8 track which had the later style display.

I suspect the center dash was cut out to allow for the Kenwood radio. The OP will need a center dash section (in the color matching the interior) to install the correct radio if this is the case.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

collector

Its the same the face plate is what is the difference

J.C.

Quote from: 936CD69 on December 17, 2016, 09:37:29 AM
Try United Auto Radio in East Syracuse, New York. Undoubtedly on e*bay as well

Thanks so much for the suggestion!  I called United and was told they don't sell original radios, they just repair old ones.

Anyone know where I could get a simple AM/FM stereo for the '79 Fleetwood?
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

J.C.

I don't want the stereo to have an 8-track player and I don't want to have a 1985 stereo, either.  I just want an 1979 AM/FM stereo - this seems pretty hard to find!  It's kind of strange that, in the sales brochure, two pictures on the same page depict the stereo slightly differently.  In one picture showing the whole dash, the LED lights look green.  Yet, in a close-up shot, the LED lights look orange.

Are the lights supposed to be orange or green? 
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

Quote from: J.C. on December 22, 2016, 01:22:57 PM
I just want an 1979 AM/FM stereo - this seems pretty hard to find!  It's kind of strange that, in the sales brochure, two pictures on the same page depict the stereo slightly differently.

I explained all that in Reply #8.  Anybody home?

I also mentioned most 1979 are one-year only. At nigh-40 years old, by definition, that WILL be hard to find. 

Quote from: J.C. on December 22, 2016, 01:22:57 PMAre the lights supposed to be orange or green?

Amber.

This is a true 1979-only Cadillac AM/FM/FM Stereo 8 Track radio. It is 100% correct for your car and even has the right knobs with 1979-only woodgrain. (Disregard seller's description "77-78" radio; he doesn't know what he's talking about ...which is normal  ::))

If you don't want the 8 track, just don't use it.

May as well grab it and send it out to United Radio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162334407545?ul_noapp=true

TJ Hopland

That is what I remember the mounting on those looking like.   Someone is saying you can change the part with the ears with later models?   Is that all just a cover so if the later one is the same it will swap?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

My guess is that several different mounting flanges can be used with GM radios having this type of body.

TJ Hopland

I remember other GM cars having a flange sort of thing that made it to the somewhat standard shaft style radios of the era but the Cadillac it was not just a flange, it was the whole front of the radio.     That photo looks like what I remember, everything you see that is black plastic is one part.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Yes - the mounting flange and radio faceplate are the same piece on GM digital display radios of this era.