News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New here

Started by 1968 Mechanic, December 17, 2016, 10:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968 Mechanic

Hello one and all!
First this will be my first post so please excuse any faux pas. I am close to 60, have worked on old cars since I was 16. Granted that I am a Mopar nut but I have been the sole keeper of some friends cars, a 55 Cadillac 9 passenger Imperial sedan with divider window, a 59 9 passenger Sedan, 66 convertible, and a 68 Fleetwood 4 door. My neighbor has now asked me to get his 1963 Coupe DeVille  back on the road. Nice low mileage one family car with a repaint but original color. Saw it for the first time today but could not get to the front to open the hood. My question is who is a good place to get parts as I need them, who to stay away from on ebay, who has good reproduction parts etc. What web sites to go to? Mopar I know, not so much GM.
Thanks
Lynn

Scot Minesinger

Daunting topic here, because each year is different and has different parts sources:

Your handle is 68 Mechanic, so I know something about the 1968's more than the 1963, 55 and 59 Cadillacs.

General:  As with all classic car parts you have to be on the look out for good quality, as there is a lot of junk.  Generally you can buy water pumps, alternators, distributor caps and the like form any auto parts store to keep a 472 engine running, but the parts are often poor quality, Rock Auto is better because you get more choices and can select better quality parts rather than a local parts store which stocks the lowest quality parts to be price competitive.  I have only suffered when dealing with OPG.

Engine parts:  Call MTS in CA (google them)  they handle 1968 thru 1981 Cadillac engines 472/500/425/368 blocks, and really do a great job.

Engine accessories:  rebuild good used cores locally such as and especially starters and alternators, water pumps use Elgen or upgraded types.

Suspension/brake parts:  Mooge on line and other on line sources seem to be good.

Body to frame bushings:  Universal from Energy Suspension to get rattles out of car

Radiator:  Desert Air or re-core locally

Climate control:  Old Air Products, and Cadillac Tim (google in Iva, SC - he rebuilds dash and power servo)

Used:  Cadillac King, Cadillacs only, Willington CAD, USA Parts and others

Misc:  USA Parts 304-724-6600

Is there anything you are looking for now?  Generally, you can get just about any part except NOS trim in a week or so at the longest.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

1968 Mechanic

I am going to start with the filters/tune-up/fluids and a carb rebuild first. But my friend has to get his car out of the garage first and over to my place. Check the gas tank for rust (anyone doing reproductions?) check sending unit and put a new sock on it.

Bobby B

Rock Auto has all that Basic stuff that you're looking for. Scot gave you a way detailed list that should help you out. You can easily spend some time and Google items you need to get the info. If you don't like the quality, send it back. It's that Simple. You're not dealing with a Pre-War car here.
                          Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

dadscad

http://6364cadillac.ning.com/

Check out the 63/64 cadillac chapter. Friendly help and advice  for the 63/64 Cadillacs. We have a list of parts suppliers you can check with for the parts you need.

Welcome!
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

1968 Mechanic

One thing I did notice is that the bumper jack is missing (why? as even the cardboard  trunk liner is scratch free). Do the 64/63s use the same jack? Other GM cars?
Lynn