News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac (AND OTHER YEARS) modifications - what are yours?

Started by Scot Minesinger, December 18, 2016, 09:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Reading this forum for a while, the participants average age is 55, majority of their classic Cadillac are driven, and there is emphasis on authenticity with a slight tendency to include a few modifications such as radial tires to enjoy driving more.  What year and model is your Cadillac and what modifications have you made?  A picture is not a bad idea, I will start:

1970 DVC, 130k miles completely restored - almost nothing is original:

1.  Fleetwood rocker moldings, all 8 pieces (two on each fender skirt), Cadillac should have done this.
2.  Dual exhaust was on the car when I bought it, improved them and really like the sound
3.  Radial tires that match the factory white wall pattern from Diamonback
4.  Full gauges, removable (electric plug in Autometer) w/one bolt for shows (stock when removed)
5.  Rebuilt original radio guts to a modern radio with Bluetooth (cannot tell it is not stock)
6.  Leather wrapped headrests, looks like what Cadillac should have done.
7.  Keyless entre:  no way to tell it is not factory
8.  R134 air conditioning
9.  TMS machined stock intake manifold for better performance, no way to tell it is not factory

The Cadillac has a real stock factory look, but is equipped for maximum enjoyment.  Even have tower clamps on hoses.  Does real well at AACA when you get the right judge that does not realize rocker moldings and dual exhaust are not factory.

1970 SDV:  37k miles all original, paint vinyl top and chrome
(but all rubber seals and mechanical items such as bushings, timing chain are replaced)

Same as items 3., 5., and 8 above

1970 Four door convertible:  104k miles (everything will be restored)
Nothing yet, steering toward original, WIP

The reason got this idea for this post was the 59 CDV with two carbs, if I had a 1959 or 1960 Cadillac coupe or convertible, I would add the Eldorado moldings if the car was not a super valuable original, because they look so great.  It would not bother me that it was a modified, and would let everyone know they were added.  Would not add the air suspension or other EBZ/Seville extras.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

70 Coupe DeVille. 55K original with hopefully a tick free fresh rebuild. Without a doubt, it is a work in progress, and in progress and in progress.
Retrosound radio bUT most importantly (to me) is that I put real seat belts in. It also has the unique ability of suckling my wallet dry.
Here is the car...... and the empty wallet.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

76eldo

Mine is an all original car. Unfortunately I have to live with the stand up hood ornament that was added in the early 70's. Other than whitewall radials it's bone stock.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

A shot of my '73. Does this qualify for modifications? A few mechanical ones as well.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

chrisntam

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on December 18, 2016, 11:56:53 AM
A shot of my '73. Does this qualify for modifications? A few mechanical ones as well.
Greg Surfas

I'm ready for that write up in the Self-Starter!

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on December 18, 2016, 09:27:04 AM
...snip.... It also has the unique ability of suckling my wallet dry.
Here is the car...... and the empty wallet.

Now that's funny, I know what you mean!

Are those '70 wheel covers?  Did you end up finding some '70 wheels?

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Chris,
Right now it is in the hands of the Editor.  He is deciding which photos to use and I will then caption them.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: chrisntam on December 18, 2016, 01:07:52 PM
Are those '70 wheel covers?  Did you end up finding some '70 wheels?

chris.

Yes. Found a set of wheels at a salvage yard in AZ. Not too expensive but the shipping killed me...... and I don't think the poor UPS guy will be able to have any more kids.
The wheelcovers represent hours of work but ended up fairly nice for a cheap set.
Thanks for noticing.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Scot Minesinger

Jeff,

Shoulder belt is probably the best mod you could do.  The wheel covers look great, are you running radials or bias ply?

I kept the info on the seat belts and may install them on my 1970 SDV.  I use the lap belt only for now.  I tried to use the shoulder belt yesterday - wow!, nearly worthless.  Easy to see why you did that, way safer.  Currently I always drive with lap belt on and my hand on top center of steering wheel, so in the event of a crash my hand cushions the blow of face on steering wheel.  This is the best option as shoulder belts were not available in 1970 for convertibles, but they were for 76 Eldorados so maybe I could get something going - it has been 40k miles this way - not sure.

That paint/vinyl top color scheme is similar to the most common convertible color combo, and I always see a convertible when your Cadillac photo comes up.  I know it is a CDV.

gross707

'75 Caribou.  Ported intake and heads, Edelbrock, headers and dual exhaust, disc brakes all around , 9" Ford rear end, wood bed and, wait for it, wait for it... line locks.
Gerald Ross

The Tassie Devil(le)

1972 Eldorado Convertible.

(1)   Rebuild engine with over-bore to 8.3 Litres, high compression pistons, larger intake and Exhaust valves, 500 CID No. 5 Camshaft,  Predator Carby on modified original intake manifold, HEI Ignition, Pollution gear removed, and fully Balanced reciprocating mass,
(2)   Shoulder seat belts for the front seat, (Retractable)
(3)   Rear Sway Bar,
(4)   Full Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust,
(5)   Radial Tyres,
(6)   Continental Tyre Kit,
(7)   Aftermarket Radio and Speakers with Blue-tooth,
(8)   Tow Bar,
(9)   Halogen Headlights,
(10)  Western Cyclone II Aluminium Wheels,
(11)  Metric Speedometer with Metric Odometer,
(12)  AC converted to R134a.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Gene Beaird

1968 Calais - fairly stock, other than what has been replaced over the years of service. Trying to keep it running, working on things as I get time/money, but planning to keep it pretty stock.

1979 Seville - Quickor Garage sway bars with custom mounts, Bruce Roe fuel pump relay, 96 FWB aluminum wheels.  That's it, so far. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

chrisntam

Most of my mods are engine internals, 500 crank, bored .030 over, forged pistons/rods, true 10 to 1 compression, mild cam, mildly ported heads, larger valves, roller rockers with shafts, hogged out intake.  MTS electronic ignition.

Outside, I have chrome valve covers (due to the rocker shafts), open element chrome air cleaner, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, dual 12 inch pusher radiator fans (I retained the 7 blade (eldo) fan pulling air.

Prior owner installed an aftermarket radio, I plan to re-install the factory radio (am/fm non-stereo) and speakers when I get time and after they are rebuilt.  Under dash gauges and a small tach so I can monitor 507 cubic inches.

In the future, I plan to build a console (to fit between the seat & dash) to house an aftermarket radio and the tach.  Still trying to figure out where to place 4 speakers without cutting anything.  Plan right now is a speaker up under the dash on each side and two box speakers to sit in the back seat.  Dual exhaust is planned as well.

Work and family obligations seem to be getting in the way of any real progress.  I'm lucky just to be able to drive it once every two weeks to keep things lubed up.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Chris,

You can have it all:

1.  Buy a core 1970 Cadillac radio and have it rebuilt to modern standards with blue tooth.  I did that and you cannot tell visually that it is not factory unless the radio was removed and opened up.

2.  These gauges are removable and do not interfere with driving at all.  I have the tach in glove box.  You could have a tach in the gauge cluster shown, just remove vacuum gauge.

3.  The two front dash speakers (up graded) and rear speaker provide wonderful sound that can be heard easily at 70 mph top down driving - no need to cut.

This way you can avoid the console if you want.

chrisntam

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on December 21, 2016, 05:56:29 PM
Chris,

You can have it all:

1.  Buy a core 1970 Cadillac radio and have it rebuilt to modern standards with blue tooth.  I did that and you cannot tell visually that it is not factory unless the radio was removed and opened up.

2.  These gauges are removable and do not interfere with driving at all.  I have the tach in glove box.  You could have a tach in the gauge cluster shown, just remove vacuum gauge.

3.  The two front dash speakers (up graded) and rear speaker provide wonderful sound that can be heard easily at 70 mph top down driving - no need to cut.

This way you can avoid the console if you want.

I considered an upgraded radio, but my car came w/ non stereo, one speaker in the dash.  Not going to attempt to find a two speaker dash or pay to have one restored.  I don't worry too much about exact originality, I'm now more of a believer of function over form.

By having the original radio in place as well as an aftermarket unit, I can chose which I want to listen to - the way it was back in '70 or the way today.  I also plan for two cup holders in the yet to be built console and a place to put stuff..

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jay Friedman

On my '49 Club Coupe I have:

1. Installed seat belts;

2. Installed a modern AM/FM radio-tape deck under the dash (and a NOS "delete plate" to cover the holes in the dash);
The vacuum antenna, originally operated through the '49 radio's volume knob, is now controlled by a separate '41 vacuum antenna control under the dash.  Radio powered by an inverter which boosts the car's 6 volts to 12 volts;

3. Installed a thicker front stabilizer bar like those on '49 hearses and limos for better cornering;

4. Converted the automatic choke to a manual choke with a control knob under the dash;

5. Since the original '49 gear shift knob comes to a point which could be dangerous in an accident, installed a '41 round gear shift knob for ordinary use while keeping the original knob for car shows;

6. Improved the clutch linkage with a "ball joint" on the adjustment rod;

7. Installed an additional ground strap on the starter commutator end plate.

And maybe other little things I can't quickly recall.

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

INTMD8

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on December 18, 2016, 09:09:38 AM
if I had a 1959 or 1960 Cadillac coupe or convertible, I would add the Eldorado moldings if the car was not a super valuable original, because they look so great.  It would not bother me that it was a modified, and would let everyone know they were added.  Would not add the air suspension or other EBZ/Seville extras.

I would too but where to find a complete set and would it be 10k+? 

My 59 is pretty much stock. Changes are re-ground camshaft, LS1 valves and springs.  Radial tires. Aux input for am radio (can't remember the name)

Caddyholic

In my 1961 series 62 convertible I have.

Pertronix ignition and flame thrower coil.
Dual exhaust.
Custom sounds am/fm radio with blue tooth adapter.
Boss speakers in stock location and under the front seat.
Radial 2.25 inch white walls
Electric fuel pump
90 amp alternator

In my 1962 Coupe Deville

Radial .75 inch white walls
134a freon
This winter I plan on adding to my stock radio a 70's FM to Am converter in the glove box and a AUX to FM transmitter that i will plug to my Phone for tunes.  I call it old school blue tooth. I am also going to add an electric fuel pump.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

joeinbcs

1970 Eldorado, Lucerne Aqua Firemist, white buckets

-Replaced the incorrect Elk Grain Vinyl Top with Tuxedo Grain item from SMS
-Removed the ugly fuel door with backup light and replaced with one from a '68 (I don't have a backup light at the moment, but I may try to find a slender LED that will fit above the license plate).

1968 Eldorado, Silverpiine Grean, Grean Deauville Cloth, Green Leather

-Bone Stock

1976 Eldorado Convertible, Greanbriar Green Firemist/White Leathe/Top

-Bone Stock
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.